Frame Dimensions, Drawings

The one from TurboSquid looks completely out of proportion. The front forks are like toothpicks.

Sent hexill an email o see if he can supply any 3D models or drawings. Fingers crossed my french translation made sense!!

Ramrod, yes all years of engines fit all years of frames. Just have to use the engine mounts that go with the frame. The 70-73 engine mounts are different from the 74 up.
As far as frame changes effecting the engines are early and late. Just two frame changes there. The third frame change is the standard to special and as far as the engine goes they are the same.
Leo

I wouldn't say that myself. I do know a lot about the XS650. Most of what I know I have learned on here. Studying the repair manuals and wiring diagrams. And rebuilding a few bikes helps.
As far as the post count, I try my best to repay the forum for the help I have gotten by helping others.
Leo

Did anyone ever compete the CAD drawings? I saw the elevation side view...but I'm hoping for top side front view...if not a full 3d model

I just downloaded billyfly1's dxf file and it is great.

If anyone wants free autocad software check out draft sight. Its free to use and works just the same as autocad.

I will be working on drawing up a swingarm so it will be easier to draw a hardtail

How about different year swingarm lengths/dimensions? I have a early 73 swingarm that is approx. 19" long. I see some guys adding 2" to their stock swingarm almost stretching them to 24".

- cabinetmaking is a passionate hobby of mine-working in 10ths of a millimeter is considered normal...glad im not into modelmaking where 100ths are the norm

Hi inxs,
you sure about the millimeter thing?
0.1 mm = ~ 0.004" and 0.01mm = ~ 0.0004"
Centimeters now, that I could go along with.
Tag line from a mid 1970s cartoon in the Vancouver paper:-
"Tomorrow is the building industry's day to go Metric and when these 40 Centimeter cabinets will get mounted to these 16" studs."

Duh! I have these already, why didn't I think of that. I swear sometimes I wonder..just how many times was i dropped on my head as a baby. 1? 2? cheeseburger? I don't know.

Thanks that's a great idea.

- what fucks it up for me is music...it has 7 pitch classes cdefgab and 5 accidentals c#d#f#g#a# to give the chromatic scale of 12

- however i play by ear, the theory is pretty well meaningless to me
My Mother was a Music Teacher but I learned to play by ear. I never could learn or understand written music.

STICKING this question in the frame section: Anyone know what *specific* type of metal was used in these frames??? I do know from having 4 bicycles from 1970-84 that the tubular ,hi tensile, and other metallurgy and frame tube making was really second to none...The French, Italians, Americans took to that because of pricing...but, it was really as good, quality wise as it got then. I know that the hi-tensile chromoly if cracked, really can not be repaired so I am wondering what to look for as far as wear,tear, corrosion, really bad rust, cracking to look for in a used frame on an XS650? What is repairable or *not*?

STICKING this question in the frame section: Anyone know what *specific* type of metal was used in these frames??? I do know from having 4 bicycles from 1970-84 that the tubular ,hi tensile, and other metallurgy and frame tube making was really second to none...The French, Italians, Americans took to that because of pricing...but, it was really as good, quality wise as it got then. I know that the hi-tensile chromoly if cracked, really can not be repaired so I am wondering what to look for as far as wear,tear, corrosion, really bad rust, cracking to look for in a used frame on an XS650? What is repairable or *not*?

Hi yamamama,
unlike bicycles or aircraft where weight saving is paramount, motorcycle designers tend to add horsepower rather than lose weight.
This lets them use whatever steel tubing welds easy, bends wrinkle-free and can be bought cheap.

I am posting two photos of a 1972 XS650 one uploaded and one in a ling the link is a modified bike (but I like it :). Now look close and the down tubes on each bike at the front motor case mounts. The uploaded bike has a tube that looks bent/ swayed in closer to the case on the right of the bike (see VIN). OK, the opposite tube (left) on the modified bike sways in at the same place only on the opposite side...right between the mount bolts. Has anyone noticed these bends before common or am I just seeing optical illusions. I'm perplexed as I didn't notice the bend on the dirty bike while looking at the vin number and see it in the photo and see a similar bend on a professional builder's personal bike..tell me I'm seeing things.
>> http://www.pipeburn.com/wp-content/...geman_custom_motorcycles_Pipeburn_03_BIGS.jpg P5020205.JPG

I believe I found my answer to the above question on the TC Bros site referencing 'top' motor mounts and what version to order...Said If your ft. drop tubes are strait order this and if your ft. drop tubes are *bent* order the earlier bike mounts....
BUT, that's not all. I found something else on the frame top center tube just below the steering tube. I see the number 217 stamped followed by A an inch down the tube from that. Small, had not noticed it before but wondering what it is, means??

Back