Frame Question: Am I seeing things?

unclesol

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got my new seat, and starting to work on fabbing the mounts, etc.
PO had the Omar's seat/tank on the bike, and had wrapped some foam around several sections of the frame, which I assumed was to protect from tank and seat vibration.
Now that I have taken it off the rear "upright" sections, running up to the top shock mounts on either side, I notice that these are not the same shape. The brake side has a nice smooth curve to it,

IMG_1960_zpsb6d1b956.jpg

but the shifter side has a definite "step" to it.

IMG_1959_zpsdd95fadb.jpg

Is this normal, or am I dealing with a frame that may have been whacked on the shifter side at some point?
Hard to tell from this last pic, but the wheel (which is centered between the sides of the swingarm) does not seem centered between the upper rear frame sections.

IMG_1962_zpsfcee5140.jpg

Am I seeing things? Thanks in advance for the extra eyes on this...

No, you're not seeing things. Both sides of my stock frame resemble your brake side, with just a gentle curve near the top. Could be from a "hit", could be a P.O mod. People do strange things to these bikes.

There is a definite "step" on the left side rear frame tube on my 78' SE. No such step on my 77'D model. However on the 77 the left side tube appears straight while the right tube flares out a bit. I've always assumed that the step on the left side of the SE was to accommodate access to the helmet lock and seat latch that would otherwise protrude quite a bit.

roy

pictures show both sides of my '80 special II. I think it has something common with wider rear wheel and maybe with chain clearance. do not really know...

Attachments

• lside.jpg
    lside.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 190
  • rside.jpg
    rside.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 179
Back