Framework removing unwanted parts

Jtjanes

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm doing a build on a 78, I'm down to the frame and have already started removing stuff I don't want ( stand mounts, those bars on top for the old seat, one side of the passenger pegs) didn't remove the other one yet I wanted to know what others have done with the brake recoil spring that's mounted on the passenger peg? I'm going kick start only and would like to clean this frame up as much as possible if anyone has pictures or ideas they would like to share as to what I can or should remove it would be greatly appreciated

Dig throughout a lot of the build threads or even the pictures section at the top of the forum page and you'll be able to get a good idea of what people have done

I wouldn't cut anything off utill I was sure I didn't need it. Finish the mock up. Remove stuff as you need to. When done with the mock up you can cut of everything you don't use then.
Leo

As XSLeo said, some of those tabs can come in very handy, and I would do the full mock-up before I cut.

1979c.jpg

The starter relay just below the air filter is mounted on a side cover mount. In the bottom left of the picture, I mounted my ignition toggle switch on a frame gusset. In the top left of the picture, just to the right of the breather hose, I have a "secret" kill switch mounted on a modified seat hinge tab. The seat tab on the opposite side has my hi-off-lo headlight switch. No electrics box, there is no need for it. All electrical components are hidden throughout the bike.

All good advice. Mock up all of your stuff before you paint, so you can weld stuff back on if you get over-zealous... :D

I relocated the coil mount bracket to the rear tube to support either the coils if I didn't do the Pamco so they were no longer stuffed up under the tank. Ended up using it to hold the regulator/rectifier, since the bike was too low to install it underneath the bike.

Wish I would have left the kick stand mount, though...

full

Rich

My drum brake recoil spring is located on the bitch pegs (which I plan to remove) any good ideas where to remount? It's stock frame no hardtail?
I looked, that's a tough one. First off, what pipes are you using? The passenger peg mount is useful as a tailpipe mount.
If you remove the peg mount, maybe you can mount the spring on the swingarm? I know it's going to move, but not that much being so close to the pivot bolt. You're also going to have to figure out a place to mount the rear brake light switch. Maybe the swingarm for it too.

I think the swingarm idea would work, but here's another idea:

PipeMount.jpg

Make a nice little triangular mount plate with speed holes in it like the one I made for my megaphone, but yours would be turned sideways, and weld it to the frame.

Back