frankenclutch

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
the project motors in the bike and run in ,every thing good except clutch playing up. has 8 plate clutch with high ratio gears ,17/38 sprokets . should be bedded in as 800 kls on it , when cold works well but once motor/oil heats up clutch becomes grabby/ jittery when taking off from stationary ,almost hopping like a kangaroo BUT not all the time ,any ideas and does anyone else with 8 plate clutch have the same problem (with / without the h/ratio gears)

Hey, flea. What you're describing sounds like occasional 'clutch jitter'.
Just thinkin' out loud, to give you a few things to ponder:

Engine oil.
Correct type.
Enuff pressure/flow to get oil past clutch pushrod and into hub.

Steel plate tab edges.
May have sharp and/or angled contact edges on the spline tabs.
Stone off the sharp corners.

Steel plate orientation.
Flip them over. Rounded edges to outside, or to inside, your choice.

Basket fingers and hub spline edges.
Excessive gouging/grooving from previous plate setup.
The 8-plate setup will have different/misaligned contact points.
Some clutch plate edges will be riding on fresh surface, others may be trying to fall into, or crawl out of, previous notches.
Plate orientation (because of aforementioned angled contact edges) will affect this.

Non-equal clutch springs.
Sort according to length. Put longest three in every other hole. Kinda equalizes pressures.

Wobbly clutch basket. Check clearances, spacers, proper assembly.

Wobbly clutch hub. More serious.

Wobbly pressure plate.
With trans in 5th gear, pull in clutch lever, have someone rotate wheel, watch pressure plate.
Look for wobble.
Often cured with proper clutch springs, or redistributing springs to equalize/balance pressures.

Take 2 beers, and call us in the morning...

I had this exact problem in mine and oil type made all the difference. Mine was slipping/chattering. I replaced with rotella 15w40 diesel oil. There are all kinds of threads and opinions on oil...this is just mine.

thanks doc 2 many and assistant ,better make that a 6 pac ,using roc oil /new springs /new fiber plates with 1 new steel plate , looks like going to have to pull the clutch down and have a good look...damm.... better make that a carton

Back