Fried pamco

Boardbob79

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I know I haven't done a proper intro and I will. So I just finished building my bike. This would be the third time it would have ran but I went to start it this morning and it woudnt start. Wtf. Make sure the fuel was on it was. Kick kick nothing. Wtf. So know i hook up a battery since it doesnt have one to check fuses and make sure every thing got juice. Turned on switch. Checked fuses good. Wtf. Turned off switch. Pulled tank to test coil. Switch on. Coils got juice. Wtf. Switch off. Removed the points cover to check pamco. Switch on. Juice to pamco. Wtf. Unplugged feed to coil test. No juice. F#$k. So i pull advance side of pull rod out pull pin reinsert rod pamco back on spin nothing. Sit there and look at it for a min. Think to myself it cant be bad ive only had it for 3 days. All the sudden puff coil lets go. Now I'm really pissed. I still had the switch on and it sat there on for 10 to 15 min. Ive had the bike done for 3 days and this happens. Every thing was bought new from mikesxs including the pma. Looks like I'm going to have to get a hold of Pete for a replacement and spend 80 bucks on a new coi:banghead:l.

Board...,

Bummer...just a few questions:

1. Which PAMCO do you have? :shrug:
2. Is this a capacitor / PMA setup? :confused:
3. If so, did you first run it with a battery to power the PAMCO? :thumbsup:
4. Did you read the instructions about not leaving the ignition on with the engine not running? :doh:

Last edited:
All I know about Pamco stuff is what I've read on this list and most of those posts fuss on about how it failed them.
It seems to me that while Pamco stuff may well give better performance than the original kit, it ain't idiot proof.
And it's a given that anyone operating or working on a 30+ year old motorcycle and hoping it will be reliable has to be an idiot.
Dunno what it'd take to make Pamco stuff less vulnerable to ordinary mis-use but Pete should, eh?

Pete

1. Hall effect. Did you change boards recently or is the two types of boards.
2. Yep
3. Yes. Thats why I knew about removing the pin on advance rod. Coil feed was not making contact when I first hooked it up.
4. Yes. Thats why i keep sayin switch on switch off. The burnt coil was my fault.
I'm not saying anything bad about the unit. I would not of bought the unit if I didn't trust it. I guess i couldn't believe it broke already. Also the thing about the boards. Most of of the pics ive seen of the ones that look like mine are on the 277 rephrase. My plate also have holes drilled and taped for another bored.

Last edited:
fredintoon I guess i dont get why your calling me an idoit or how you say mis-use. I understand that its a 30 year old motorcycle (the bike is older than i am) thats why i bought a modern part to help make it a little more reliable. I've installed pamcos on friends bikes before, hell one has had it on there for a couple years with out a hiccup. All honestly i wanted to build the bady jar lid pamco but bought the kit instead.

All I know about Pamco stuff is what I've read on this list and most of those posts fuss on about how it failed them.
It seems to me that while Pamco stuff may well give better performance than the original kit, it ain't idiot proof.
And it's a given that anyone operating or working on a 30+ year old motorcycle and hoping it will be reliable has to be an idiot.
Dunno what it'd take to make Pamco stuff less vulnerable to ordinary mis-use but Pete should, eh?

Your comments show you don't know very much about the Pamco product. Its one of the best motorcycle ignitions that can be found for these bikes. I've been using it for about 7 years now, and works extremely well, especially with the E-advancer.

I must be an idiot, because my bike is 36 years old, and I believe its very reliable.

Board Bob, welcome to the forum. You may take a look at some of the solder joints on your board, one may have cracked. I had one on my Pamco that was a little anemic and I filled it in.
pamco 1.jpg pamco 2.jpg

Well I did some test on it i have 12v to the yellow diode nothing coming out. Nothing to second diode. That my be the prob. Some of them only read 7.5. Is that normal. I think it was on the bottom resistor. Cant remember. Will check when i get back home.

Hi board, RG,
don't take it personally, everyone on this list is an idiot and I can prove it.
We all operate 30+ year old inherently hazardous 2-wheeled vehicles for the joy of it instead of swanning around inside dull boring safely seat belted air bagged 4-wheelers.
I rests me case.
And yes, all I know about the Pamco device is that it replaces points (or perhaps minimizes their current flow?) by the use of transistors.
And all I see on this list is folks whining about how their Pamcos let them down.
If the whiners are in an acceptably small minority where are all the posts from folks who find them to be a good thing?

I will throw my good performance and reliability comment on here. I have had 3 Pamco's and have not had a single failure. The first was run for about a year and then sold used after I built a rephased motor which also had a Pamco. Unfortunately I was only able to run it for a few months because when I got my 750 kit installed the night before I was to put it in the bike it was stolen. The 3rd is a standard Pamco which is in my bike now and I have been running it since it was put it. On top of all the good reliability I have had with the Pamco ignitions Pete is one of the most stand up guys I have had the pleasure of dealing with and seen his dealings with other members on warranty issues.

As with any product there will be some that experience less than stellar results either through manufacturing issues or negligence and as such there will always be those who will still claim the product is junk even though the vast majority are having nothin

Most of the Pamco problems I've seen are from people that don't know what the hell they are doing. Mine's worked reliably for years.

I tried twice and never got 5 minutes out of the 2 of them. No, I'm not an idiot, either. My points are cheap and reliable. If I had 1st seen the ungodly numbers of threads about Pamco problems, I would have stayed away.

Okay guys this is not about weather the pamco is good or bad or if people are idiots or not. Some have had good luck some have had bad luck. Im not calling it junk more of a tired morning rant. This was the third one ive put on different bikes. this is the only one that ive had a problem. Ive pmed pete and we talked about it he made it right and thats all that counts to me. Good customer service.

I've heard horror stories ( not quite) about leaving your ignition turned in the on position while bike is off. Not good apparently. I try to turn everything off although my brain sometimes shorts out. Anyway, i thought i had the same problem one day. Went to kick the bike over, usually goes after the first or second kick. So i kicked it around 20 times one night. No go. Thought i fried the pamco. Nooo. Figured out that my fusebox was shorting out inside my fake oil tank. Problem solved with no issues. Just make sure nothing is touching that isnt supposed to be.

Hi board, RG,
don't take it personally, everyone on this list is an idiot and I can prove it.
We all operate 30+ year old inherently hazardous 2-wheeled vehicles for the joy of it instead of swanning around inside dull boring safely seat belted air bagged 4-wheelers.
I rests me case.
And yes, all I know about the Pamco device is that it replaces points (or perhaps minimizes their current flow?) by the use of transistors.
And all I see on this list is folks whining about how their Pamcos let them down.
If the whiners are in an acceptably small minority where are all the posts from folks who find them to be a good thing?

Fred, this is the "Garage" on a motorcycle web site. This is where guys and gals come to state their bike problems and look for help. Thousands of lads drove their bikes today with a Pamco ignition, but they didn't post a thread, because it worked great.

So, yes this is where they come to say their engine won't start. You can fully expect to see continuing posting of Pamco problems. Most of the problems are due to incorrect installations, wires reversed, not following assembly instructions, and PMA installations done at the same time, which may be causing abnormal voltages.

I have several Pamcos and I have a complaint. I use a GOOD battery and working charging system, I know how to wire. And STILL the damn Pamcos work and work and ......... How can I start a good thread with such boring parts? They are not foolproof. Points and the stock coils aren't so happy about sitting with the key on either. And the TCI just hates low volts. Where's the fun in an ignition that has the motor start first kick every time?

Man for a morning rant and a first post I really opened a can of worms didn't I. Like I said previously I Like the pamco ignition.

Posted via Mobile

... opened a can of worms didn't I...

To get the industrial-strength nightcrawler can opened, ask about "oil recommendations" or the inherant superiority, stability, simplicity and reliability of the hardtail frame over the inferior meddlesome, flexible, heavier, complicated and problematic swingarm suspension...

Since the Pamco ignitions are tested before shipping if installed properly they work. No problems 4 years and counting. Recently installed the E- Advancer it performs like it should. Bound to have one fail every now and then. Then there are the unlucky or cursed from a VOO-DOO hard tail. :D You probably know someone like that. If it wasn't for bad luck no luck at all. :shrug:

Back