Front brake line question

trance

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey gents,

Been slowly getting my bobber together. Working mostly on wiring.

But I was looking at the front brake line the other day. It comes off the master cylinder, goes about halfway down to the caliper, connects to a doo-dad, then comes off the other side of the doo-dad and then goes down the the caliper.

This doo-dad isn't attached to anything. And there's nothing obvious to attach it to.

1) can I get a single line to eliminate the doo-dad?
2) what's the doo-dad called? (I found the picture of it on the parts list on bike bandit, but it's just called a 'joint' which does not help me at all):wtf:
3) what does the do-dad do? (doo bee doo bee do...)
4) if I have to keep the doo-dad, what do I attach it to?

Pics would be helpful.

You can eliminate the dodad. It is just a union that Yamaha thought you might want, they were wrong. A single line from MC to Caliper will do quite nicely.

roy

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 215
It bolted to the front of the lower triple tree and helps locate the line. If you remove it and use a one piece line a clamp there is still a good idea.

brake detail.jpg

249-444-large.jpg

Sorry I used a different master cylinder and did extensive eBay searches to find one that worked for my set up. IIRC mikesXS sells one ready to bolt on if you still have stock handle bars....

Attachments

• brake detail.jpg
    brake detail.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 194
Ah.

Maybe I can figure out where it's supposed to go, and actually use it. I see the 41" line from mikes. At $39, maybe finding the right screw is a cheaper/easier way to go...

.hmmm...I'm a bit wiser, a bit older, but still don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

If you decide to keep the union I have stainless lines (never used) that I would part with. They measure 18.5 and 17 inches respectively and were sized to work with a Daytona or Euro style bar. Know this, if you lower the front suspension an inch or more that union in it's stock location will punch a nice dent in your front fender at full fork compression.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 167
Know this, if you lower the front suspension an inch or more that union in it's stock location will punch a nice dent in your front fender at full fork compression.

And THAT is the voice of experience. :doh:

Ryboy I will give the OP a chance to respond, if he doesn't want them, I do. Do they have the banjos?

PS one piece or two piece the original lines should be replaced, they are made of 30 year old rubber, it tends to go bad from the inside out ............

That "junction block" was a way to add a second lower line running to a second disc. Some of the Euro 650s came stock with dual front discs. So did other Yamaha models and I'll bet that part was common on lots of models.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably replace w/the 1 piece line soon. The advice about the old line going bad is good. I did lower my front end ~1", but not running a fender right now.

Of course, not running anything cuz I'm rewiring and it's winter.

Pull a single copper wire out of some common electrical 12 or 14-2 or -3 wiring and use that as a "template". Route it as needed from your MC to the caliper then measure the length. Going an inch or two longer isn't a problem. The excess can be routed in behind the fork tubes if need be .....

BrakeLine.jpg

The line can be routed over the front of the lower tree and a "guide" fashioned to attach to where that junction block originally bolted .....

BrakeLineGuide.jpg

The joint on some of the earlier models also held the brake light switch. My 75 did. I think the 73 and 74 did too. Not so sure on the 76 or 77.
Here's a pic of my 75 forks showing the joint mounted to the lower tree. The later joint without the brake switch mounts almost the same way. This one mounts with two bolts, the later use one bolt with a peg that slides into one bolt hole.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65031368.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65031368.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 134
Wanted to ask a follow up question - how do I make sure I buy the right brake line? I mean, how do I know what ends to buy?

Here are the ends used on my 78SE

The bend (35 degrees) gets things pointed in the right direction.

roy

Attachments

• stainless brake line ends 78SE 006.JPG
    stainless brake line ends 78SE 006.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 160
  • stainless brake line ends 78SE 007.JPG
    stainless brake line ends 78SE 007.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Back