front brakes dont work!!!! help

I'll assume for a minute it's a Special. and it has the 77 and up front brake. Rebuild the caliper. Yup you "Have to". It's not hard and if the piston isn't rusted (it usually is, $25) you seldom need any other parts. replace the rubber brake line it's 40 years old, every manufacturer requires new brake lines EVERY 5 years! The line rots from the inside out and is often plugged with chunks of rubber as it falls apart. Rebuild the master cylinder, it's full of gunk and sludge inside the piston where you can't see it. While you are doing this changing to a smaller master cylinder really improves brake power and feel.

Describing just what is happening or not will help.
Most old systems just draining and refilling won't help much. How did the old fluid look?
Quite often crud builds up as the fluid rots. This crud binds the piston. You need to tear down the caliper and clean it. You may find the rubber parts worn out. The piston can be corroded. The piston is chromed steel. The chrome gets rusted and pitted. If the damage is not in a area the seals rides on it can be reused.
There are several places to get pistons and rebuild kits.
On the master cylinder, it gets cruddy up too. It can be torn down and rebuilt. Kits are available. Unless it's an early model, 76 or older. They are still out there but hard to find and very costly.
There are Chinese made master cylinders out there for around $30 and come with a spare rebuild kit.
The old rubber hoses are crap too. They were good for about 6 years or so. About that old they are getting so rotten that bits of rubber are flaking off and float around in the fluid. Replacing with braided stainless steel is a good thing.
These rubber bits plug up holes in the master cylinder. The pressure relief hole from the M/C back into the reservoir is very tiny. It don't take much to plug.
I haven't had as much luck with rebuilding M/C's as others, about 50%. Anymore I just replace.
Not a very hard task to get the brakes to work. It just takes a bit of time and the right parts.
A lot of people on here list there bike by year, model, and any mods done in there signature. It can be found in your profile.
Leo

i changed the brake fluid and the break pads. Could it be the calipers. If you have any pictures of what the right brake handle looks like on your yamaha 81 xs650 that would really help. i hope i dont need a new brake line.

i think all it really needs in grease cause they seized up. ill get back to you after tonight

I'll be blunt here; that statement say's you should NOT be working on your front brakes.

Read the how to's I posted in your other (now merged) thread. Listen to XSLeo. You NEED to do what we suggest or hire the work done by someone who will. This ain't air cleaners or mufflers, front brakes need to be repaired right.

The calipers is rusty shut. I ordered a new caliper. If it still doesnt work im gunna get new brake lines.

Ask questions then don't listen or read the links to the answers given by experienced operators/forum members. These links, (and answers), would have told you every thing you need to do.

You should not have a bike.........your a danger to everyone else on the road and your self.

Are you talking about greasing the sliders? the bolts the caliper slides on?
That's the only place you should put grease in.

Save yourself time AND money (in the long run), get a new hose and master cylinder at the same time.......or you'll just push the remaining sludge/rust/crap into the new caliper, and you'll be doing this again.....

I wouldn't put a new caliper on a dirty system. You system may have clean fluid but the Lines are bad, The master is dirty.
On the rusty caliper, pull off the rubber parts on the piston. Find container of some sort just big enough so the caliper fits into. Go to the store an get some Evaporust. Fill the container to a bit above the caliper and let it soak a few days. It may come apart.
Worth a shot. If it does rebuild it. Always nice to have a spare.
Also not to get to preachy but there are two things you shouldn't do, cheap out on brakes and run old tires, both could get you dead!
Leo

I'm with 650Skull,
Lots of great advice here but I'm not sure that it is being taken seriously.

Hi glenn,
not me.
Tell someone he shouldn't be riding and he will go off in a huff.
Give someone good tech advice and there's a chance that he'll take it.

Hi glenn,
not me.
Tell someone he shouldn't be riding and he will go off in a huff.
Give someone good tech advice and there's a chance that he'll take it.

Sorry Fred your wrong here...........

He has had good Tech advice and there has been no change in his questions, or even acknowledged that he has read the threads provided, because if he had then the questions and construction of the questions would reflect that.

Fred's right; we can suggest but not direct. Anyone here that didn't listen to good advice when they were young? Any of us STILL have that issue? :D

If you want to keep flogging a dead horse go for it.

Not a against helping, or to suggest others don't........Just can't see this guy getting it. Still hasn't answered your request from post #2.

If you want to keep flogging a dead horse go for it.

Not a against helping, or to suggest others don't........Just can't see this guy getting it. Still hasn't answered your request from post #2.
Yup....my work is done here.

Back