Front caliper rebuild

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
Totally forgot how this clip went on...have no manual...and pics on biker.net...not so good... is this where it goes? Thank you uploadfromtaptalk1393786770623.jpg

Yes, it goes on after the dust shield to hold the dust shield in place.
It holds the dust shield around the lip on the body of the caliper.
Leo

uploadfromtaptalk1393789903062.jpguploadfromtaptalk1393789922145.jpgThank you totally forgot to take pics...waiting on parts I forgot...huh...dumbass...now just trying to put the pads in(easy part) yeah right! Is there any easy order for that? Have shims in. the bigger shim on bottom in with the screw in right above it...can I put pads in now? Sorry and about that metal tang sticking up.damn...gotta do some research... rookie mistake. Do pads go in like left or right pic?

Pads go in like that one on the left. See that little tab with the hole in it? That Phillips screw goes in that hole to help retain the inner pad.

Your repair manual should explain it, but you remove the caliper mount bolt, slide the caliper up off the bracket. Put the pads on the bracket. Remove the screw that is in the back side of the caliper.
Slide the caliper down over the pads and install the mount bolt. Reinstall the screw in the back.
Not hard to do.
Leo

Yes thank you both for your help. Very appreciated. Leo I don't have a manual yet so was winging it. I got it now with your help. I didn't realize the tang helps hold inner pad like 5twins said...and put pads in caliper first and slid down to insert slide bolt. Just didn't seem like that tang would be on the pad side also. uploadfromtaptalk1393792527863.jpg

Back