Front Sprocket Noise - How much is normal?

wherearewe

Rub on Ya Titties
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Ive fitted a new front sprocket, rear sprocket (all standard) and chain. Noticed a light tack tack tack or whirring noise when the wheel spins. Checked the wheel alignment using the old school string method and adjusted it accordingly. Checked chain wasn't too tight (20mm or so free play). Loosened the shift guard. Still makes a bit of a noise.

Im just wondering before i dive deeper, how much noise is normal from a new setup? Should it be pretty much silent? Have i just convinced myself there could be a problem when its totally cool?

I noticed that on my right side chain puller, the alignment mark was on the bottom which seems a bit weird.... Im guessing i have 2 left side pullers? I had some mikes ones too, but a quick measure revealed they were a good 1.5 mm difference in thickness to OEM so i opted not to fit them. Plus they looked cheap as chips.

Last edited:
Depending on your model, some XS's use two different chain adjusters. One adjuster will have a slightly smaller hole for the axle threads, and using it on the wrong axle can cause premature nut tightening. There's a thread in here somewhere that explores this.

You shouldn't be getting any significant noises from your new chain/sprocket install. A faint sound is normal. See if the sound synchronizes with the passing of the chain links. If not, check the transmission. Wheel spokes can also make sounds while spinning the wheel...

New chain rollers on new sprockets should roll fluidly onto the teeth, ramping into the saddle between the teeth with virtually no noise evident. You can create a tap with a little lash. Try to roll it through as fluidly, speed wise, as you can and see if you hear it then. If not, you are golden. If so, dig in a little, but it should not be your new parts.

Hmmm. Well i've ordered some NOS chain pullers so thats one thing out the way.

Its a mag setup so its nothing to do with spokes. Its absolutely a noise from the front sprocket, i just expected a new setup to be velvet smooth.

I suppose i will have another look tomorrow. Perhaps pop the chain and double check the sprockets for starters.

Last edited:
Back