Front suspension upgrade springs too long??

Pepijnwk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi I am Pepijn from the Netherlands and \I have restored a Yamaha xs1F.
I wanted to upgrade handling by putting in progressive frontsprings. I bought these at Heiden Tuning.
These springs are 495 mm long. Quuite a bit longer than the original springs.

My question is: are they supposed to fit on an xs1 or are they just too long?
On the site of Mikexs it is stated that they can be used for xs from 74-76........

Has somebody tried these springs? or know if the fit? I feel i have too compress those springs quite a bit in order to reassemble the fork!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

here is my xs:

Attachments

• yamaha xs1.jpg
    yamaha xs1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 158
I dont know the correct spec on length of springs for the year xs you have. But I know that there is a certain amount of preload a spring must have, preload meaning the spring is compressed inside the fork slightly when cap is fully installed. So there will be a bit of spring sticking out of the fork that needs to be pressed down a bit while installing the cap, but I am uncertain of the length of preload needed on your springs. It isnt alot though, dont think its more than an inch, maybe two? Not 100% sure, just trying to help.

thanks! I have read the topic!. I also called Jerry bhimself and he told me that he thought it would work.
So I jacked up de xs to free the front wheel of the ground to give the springs maximum length.
I left out the spacers en pushed with a "filled" socket the end bolts in the forklegs. It worked!!

Bb8CCkq.jpg

jjPSsTa.jpg

AcHoRqB.jpg

Back