Front Tank Mount Help

bpd106

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I picked up an old Sportster tank dirt cheap. I figured I'd slip a couple of grommets or even better the grommets with the metal sleeves in them into the holes on the front mounting tabs and be good. But...the holes on the front (and rear) mounting tabs are oblong or oval if you will. What are you guys doing for grommets on these or how are you isolating your tanks? I was going to drill the holes out so they are round and that would probably solve the problem, but I can't help but think the HD used some sort of rubber sleeve that slips over the mounting tabs on this style. I was told its from the early 90's and It's got a screw in, vented cap so I know thats about right. I was gonna check at the HD dealer tomorrow and see what the deal is. I searched hi and lo on the net and on this site, but haven't had any luck finding an answer.

Thanks Fellas,

bpd106

Hey BigJimmy, have you had any issues that you've noticed by doing it that way? I thought about that too. Does it seem to be holding up and no cracked tabs yet?
Thanks!

Back