Front wheel alignment issue (what am I missing/doing wrong!?)

I'm going to guess that maybe that's not really a 650 hub. Maybe it's from an RD350 or XS360. These would be narrower. Measure the distance between the spoke flanges, outside to outside. The 650 hub is about 56mm. Is the rim a 19"?

Well then, I'm stumped too, lol. There was a guy a while back with similar spacing problems. Apparently the wheel had been run loose, allowing the spacer on the disc side to spin. It bored it's way right into the fork lower.

is the axle a snug fit in the Rh fork leg the 7" is from the start of the threads not the end.
Wrong axle wouldn't affect the spacing.

Obviously the spacing is built in to the yoke. But it might behoove him to get the right axle. I'm surprised you all haven't solved this. Y'all are spoke wheel guys and he thinks he's got all xs650 parts. Throw it all away and come back with mag wheels and I can help :)

I would say some of the other parts aren't xs650 either. Ebay sellers get it accurately maybe 50% of the time. It's either that or some stock part is missing.

What is C to C on the fork tubes? Show us a clear shot of the triples front and side? With the big tire the clearance on the (riders) right looks about right.......

There should be about 5 1/8" between the fender mount tabs.

Wxjbmx; spoke front wheels are set up exactly the same as the mags that doesn't get you off the hook!

Gary,
This is my first build so I'm learning as I'm going but everything seems to be snug as it should be with the axle.
Some measurements:
-rh fork center to lh fork center as best as I could is about 7 3/8".
-rh fender tab to lh fender tab it's about 7 1/8"

Not sure why it would be 5 3/8" from fender tab to fender tab. those things are mounted pretty much centered on the fork lowers...

I'll get some pictures of the triple front and side by the end of the night.

I know some of you have suggest a spacer, are there any cons to going that route?

cheers

Sorry the fender tabs up near the tire. Your 7 3/8" C to C sounds right. That's what I just got checking a couple, the 72 are narrower about 7" C to C

I have a set of 75 forks setting right here.
CTC on the tubes is 7 1/4 inches. Distance between fender mounts is 5 1/8 inches.
I have an xs1100 standard forks right here too.
CTC of tubes is 7 1/4 inches, distance between fender mounts is 5 1/8 inch.
I know the XS1100 fender bolts right into the XS650 forks.
I looked up the axles for a 72 650, a 75 650 and an 80 1100. They all have the same part number.
I think your trees are the problem. They are too wide.
If you look at 5twins pic in post 17 you will see the way it should look on that side. Your wheel and forks match but the trees do not.
Leo

Been through a similar problem to this when i bought a set of hubs from a member here and after polishing the front hub, ( so proud), i found it to be a we bit different, 5twins clicked onto it. Its a 360 hub and is 6 1/2 mm narrower in width than the XS650/TX750 hub. The thing is, the distance from the out side of the spacer to the inside if the disk rotor is exactly the same as the XS650/TX750 hubs.

6 1/2 mm taking into account the gap on the left side hub
full

Back of rotor to fork spacing the same as XS650/TX750 hub
full

Difference in the width of the flange spacing. 360 hub on left, XS650/TX750 hub on right
full

If the hub was centered it would need a 3 mm spacer each side. If a 3mm spacer was put behind the rotor as well it should bolt straight into a set of 650 forks.

There is a difference though. The flanges are not exactly centered the same as the 650 hub, so when the wheel is mounted it is slightly off the center line if you have that line half the distance between the forks.

Leo,
that 1st measurement was a little rushed. It's coming in right on 7 1/4' c to c.
Here are some pics. Sorry for the cloudiness. I took the photos with my crappy phone.
photo7.jpg
photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

If it's not the triple, forks or axle then all signs point to the wheel...
Skull i'm going to read up on that and see if thats a possible explanation.
This whole thing is starting to make my head spin so gonna call it quits for the night and go drink some beers. Thank you guys for all the help and I'll be back on it tomorrow.
cheers

Wxjbmx; spoke front wheels are set up exactly the same as the mags that doesn't get you off the hook!

I don't have a garage with a built in photography studio. But I'll see what I can do.

I'd suggest the op lay out on the floor all his parts in order and shoot them. I mean with a camera :) :)

Post #31, pic #2, is it me or parallax, but the top triple looks like a later/wider model, and the single clamp bolt bottom looks like a narrower early tree, and the forks look like they're angled inward toward the bottom...

There is no room to fit another spacer because there isn't enough thread showing now on the axle , to tighten it up properly.

The fork ends need to come together more...... not further apart.

Looks like you currently have too much space between the forks ends.

My 78 measures closer to 7" than it does to 7.25" It would be worth removing the wheel and measuring the gap between the fork ends so we can compare ??

Are you sure the forks have the correct trees fitted ?

Ah! I've just read TwoMany's last post. .......I think you've got it sussed TwoMany .

Last edited:
On the angle of the forks in post 31 pic 2 could be an optical delusion.
If it was like that, the end of the forks would be too close together.
On the 75 forks I have the distance between the forks where the axle goes through is 5 7/8 inch.
If your axle is an XS1100 axle it should be the right length. With the measurements you gave I think the trees and forks are ok.
650Skull has a good point, it could be the wheel is too narrow, But that won't explain why the axle won't reach across the forks.
Once you get the wheel off measure across between the forks where the axle goes. I measured on the fork not the cap that holds the axle.
Leo

Post #31, pic #2, is it me or parallax, but the top triple looks like a later/wider model, and the single clamp bolt bottom looks like a narrower early tree, and the forks look like they're angled inward toward the bottom...

I agree... how bout a measurement[c to c] on top and bottom tree's.... it could be an illusion???

it may be an optical illusion but if you line a ruler up through the centre of the right hand fork from top to bottom its got a huge curve in it .:eek::yikes:

I'm betting that the right hand fork is the culpret .

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
With the rubber gator on the fork it's impossible to see the fork tube. The gator is kinked and twisted. This is what your seeing.
Leo

With the rubber gator on the fork it's impossible to see the fork tube. The gator is kinked and twisted. This is what your seeing.
Leo

I don't think so.:wink2: look at the left fork then look at the right fork use a ruler on the screen or go to SpecSavers :D

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 107
Yes, I think I see it, looks like a bent fork tube to me.

Back