Front wheel not sitting straight

My top and bottom trees don't seem to be twisted, they sit flat. just the bottom tree is a little wider apart. it's weird, because i had been riding it and never noticed anything wrong. then when i re-assembled with everything tight, the forks would not bounce back. Undoing the wheel nut makes the forks spring apart, then they work correctly. I should mention that i have lowered the forks also. 81 special.

Missing spacers??

just a thought

No that was my first thought. guess i need to know the correct centre to centre for top and bottom trees. I think the top is correct, assembled forks with wheel on and just the top clamp on the bench and it bounces properly. trying to assemble with both clamps means i have to pull one of the forks over to get it to line up with the top clamp. Not good. can this be fixed or should I just look for some other second hand ones to try? thanks

The top and bottom trees should be the same, as far as center to center space. I'm no alignment guru but it almost sounds like a bent fork tube. Pictures would help.

I thinking a bent fork tube as well.. Take the fork tubes out and clamp up the bottom and give the upper a spin and see if there is a wooble in it... Both of mine have a little tweak in them. I had to mark the and put them in with the slight bend going the same direction..

You said the triple trees look OK, but you can't tell just by looking at them. The only way is to set them on a perfectly flat surface such as a sheet of glass. Forks would also have to be checked on a perfectly flat surface.

096a05fefdd67d6f7509203cf39bf1df_12839.jpg

This is a photo of the top bracket on top of the bottom bracket with the other side lined up. is about 3mm out, so when i try to slide fork tube through, i have to push the tube over to get it to go through. once through, doing up the nut on the axle causes the sliders to bend over and not bounce properly.

Twist/straightening lower trees is simple/common in the shops. Spread-out lower is very serious. Remove upper clamp, place upside-down under lower triple, slide a single fork tube thru on one side only, accurately measure actual spread/offset as seen on opposite aligned hole(s). Let us know what you find...

More direct view from straight above. seems to be 3 to 4 mm out. to get it back in line looks like the bottom tree needs bending forward. top clamp slides on fork tubes easy with axle done up (not on bike), sliding bottom tree on forks spreads them slightly, making the top tree very difficult to get on.

Yeah i thought there could be a mismatched part, but they were all the same for years I think. Looks like i'm on the hunt for some new trees. So annoyed, didn't think i"d need to spend money on this part of the bike. I'm in Australia, bought the bike off a fella who had it for years under his house, was imported from U.S before that about 6 yrs ago.

Back