Front wheel spacers

Stoop22kid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Yet again this is my first build so I've never had this problem before.

Custom springer and custom axle with stock xs front spoke with speedo delete.

12 cm from inside to inside of springer
349f3cae7a7d8b959cbc427db2c6128d.jpg

6 cm from inside to center of tire
8334af9516e8d406e1179c83bda5b197.jpg

1.5 cm from speedo delete to inside of springer on the left side (sitting on bike)
fdabbad279e8254fb35a6743a2e15b29.jpg

.4 cm from dust cover to inside of springer on the ride side (sitting on bike)
69980ec790eb60beaaeefc6299db05ec.jpg

I ran a string from the center line of the front tire all the way back the frame to rear axle and everything SEEMS straight.

So if that's how you actually measure for what size spacers you need then I would need a 17mm ID, 20mm OD, 15mm wide spacer for the left side and a 17mm ID, 20mm OD, 4mm wide spacer for the right side?

Thanks in advance
Justin

Hi Justin,
that'll work.
Or if you don't have a "Bro with lathe", perhaps a stack of 5/8" plain washers from a hardware store may suffice.
They tend to be a tad oversized so their 15.88mm nominal bore could well be an actual 17mm.
BTW, your post used both mm and cm and that can lead to error.
Had an e-mail discussion about that.
It went:-
I took this drawing to several machine shops, all but one refused the job and that guy wanted over a grand!
I replied:-
That's because you dimensioned the part in mm but wrote cm after the numbers.
Machined as dimensioned that part would be three feet in diameter and weigh half a ton.

I do have a "bro with a lathe" doesn't everyone? Or a "cousin that can fix it"? Haha so I guess I should have used mm from the beginning instead of converting everything at the end. Thanks man.

I do have a "bro with a lathe" doesn't everyone? Or a "cousin that can fix it"? Haha so I guess I should have used mm from the beginning instead of converting everything at the end. Thanks man.

Hi Stoop,
not my buddy. His headrace adapters ended up being made on MY bro's lathe after I dredged up my 40 years ago machinist's training.
And yes, CONSITENT dimensioning is the key.
Land surveys in meters. Building trades in centimeters. Machining in millimeters.
ALWAYS.
Dunno about shipbuilding though. The average container ship gotta be a shitload of millimeters, stem to stern.

Back