Front Wheel Squeak?

JackPlaysBass

Motard
Reaction score
My '82 Heritage Special's front brakes recently started squeaking when pressure was applied to the front brake. I replaced the pads with EBC brake pads, and now when the motorcycle is in motion, there's a squeaking coming from the front wheel, even with no brake pressure. When the front brake lever's pulled, the squeaking gets even louder. The wheel spins freely from what I can tell, it doesn't feel like it's hanging up, and the brake lever doesn't feel spongy or anything. It's really annoying, and it makes me very uncomfortable when riding it...last thing i need is the brakes to be cooking themselves while in motion and not function when I need them. Can anybody help me out?

Okay, this advise is `70s oriented, be warned...
2 areas to check:

Material composition, some are organic, others are metallic (imbedded brass chips, etc). Sometimes organics like to grab/squeal. Ever drive a power brake car first thing on a damp morning, gently apply brake, then find nose prints on the dashboard cause they're grabbing? Some organics do that. But organics won't chew thru rotors like metallics. If you still have them, temporarily reinstall your old pucks and see if they squeal. If not, your new pucks may be doing this. Could try lightly sanding the new pucks, might remove packing oil that wasn't supposed to be there. Try forum search "EBC", heard some complaints there.

Mechanical: could try chamfering the edges, if not already there. Ensure pucks are square to rotor. Ensure running clearance to static/fixed puck, about .005". Hyd brakes are supposed to retract slightly when braking pressure is relieved, does your piston retract and move freely? As a last-ditch fix, a product, like silicone sealer, called 'stop squeal' was available. Band-aid fix, applied to back of pucks to get rid of squeal, very commonly used to fix early bikes.

Hope this helps...

My 81 has been squeaking while I ride, When I push on the brake it squeaks too. But if I tap the brake(while riding) the sound goes away for a short while. Any ideas?

Back in the day, that would be a sign that the caliper piston is beginning to bind, and possibly sieze. The cure was to do a caliper replace, or rebuild.

Hydraulic brake fluid has a limited life, recommended flush/replenishment interval is every 2 years.
Master cylinders also degrade over time.

May want to go thru the whole system...

I will add anti seize to the pad to piston contact area......sometimes.
But, most squealing is from misalignment if not material generated.

On center stand, jack front wheel off ground. Loosen all caliper bolts so it just jiggles loosely. Spin wheel with by hand slowly apply brakes till wheel stops. With lever still applied turn in caliper bolts half turn. Repeat until bolts are tight. Torque bolts to proper spec.

Its not a 100% fix. But, I've seen it work and help squealing. Plus its free and easy. Like my girlfriend! :D

Posted via Mobile

Your 34 year old brake system needs an overhaul would be my best guess, a complete dis-assembly and cleaning of both the MC and the caliper. There may also be an issue with the pad retainers. Apparently Yamaha noted a squeal problem with the later single piston caliper and came out with a rubber padded "anti-squeal" retainer sometime in '78 .....

full

They instruct you to install it at the front of the pads. Your '81 should have the updated part but if someone put it on the rear behind the pads, it may not be working as it should.

full

BrakeClip.jpg

Last edited:
The pads will wear into opposing triangles over time. The caliper mount induces a twisting motion when brakes are applied, why late model HiPo bikes now use radial mounts. I suppose you could flip the pads at regular intervals but that might cause some unusual brake action??

Back