Fuel and old racer tips and tricks.

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys,

Here where I am I have access to 95RON, 98RON or 10% ETHANOL 91RON - All unleaded.
So, what have you guys found works best in our XS's ?
Someone told me to put 91RON or 95RON in instead of the 98 I have been running.
Their logic is that 98 wasnt around when the bike was made... BUT then again, LEADED was...
Do any of you put any additives in (lead replacement type stuff) or anything?

Why? Mainly to ensure its running as good as it can.
My experience with my classic cars heavily modified was that I used to be able to bump up the advance, get it running REALLY well, and was using 98RON to ensure no pre-det... however that was using mapped ECU for the advance. I am moving to the PAMCO + E-Advance setup and believe that it will help... however in my past I had access to an engine dyno and could play with pipes, fuel, timing, everything for hours on end for free and could tune to my hearts content... with the bike I dont have that ability so starting with fuel and going from there.

Any one had an experience in tuning every scrap out of these? OBVIOUSLY doing the basics are first, but past that in terms of tweaks, tips, tricks... is where I am headed.
Will go down the porting route, etc later... for now its just the tune tricks, etc.

For example, I had a 1976 Leyland Mini - 1132cc turbo that I built.
It was running Ford EDIS module and MegaJolt ignition system (so a VR sensor on the harmonic balancer with a 36-1 tooth wheel... )
Now, it made 400% more power than the stock motor, ran a 13sec quarter mile on the stock tyres... with wheelspin in most gears. The diff ratio's gave me great 60' times but lost in top end due to the 4 speed box (there was a billet quaife LSD and dog box setup)

Now, that thing was great, but to my surprise when I was playing with it, adding Molybond 2.5 to the oil (BEFORE it went into motor) and shaken up, then put into motor gave me 7% more power on the dyno! that had to do with the zinc content in oils these days and the pushrod motor needing zinc for less friction.

Another one that the officials and scrutineers didnt like was in the 998cc class... we used to throw 2 stroke into the fuel... it simply helped the motor rev and keep up with the V8s a bit more down the straight... the only way it could be seen after the race was because there was black oil on the firewall that used to spit back out of the carb! haha...

Anyway, I know I cant add molybond 2.5 to my bike, but any old school things like that - tips tricks and ideas... would be awesome.
There has to be an old school XS650 racer among the crowd...

Cheers,
Peter

We found that on lower compression engines (below 8.5 : 1), just a little more horsepower would come from the lower octane rating. The higher octane was a slightly slower burn, best for hi compression engines.

Was that it? Or how far you want to go down this rabbit hole?

Oops, forgot. We had 106 octane over here during the early production years...

Oops, again. After I built my `71, I used 130 avgas for the first 500 miles (low ash)

Last edited:
Somewhere, on your side of the pond, must be a government database that reports the energy rating of your fuel, btu's per pound, which I believe is still our reigning imperialistic measurement unit.

More btu's the better, I believe alcohol drops that a tad...

Hah. You assume the morons that own the petrol stations don't add crap to it. They get caught all the time "adding baby powder to the cocaine"
Ill check it out and see if I can get some 95 first.

Anything else you know of? Let me know.

Posted via Mobile

Now you got me going, crap in the gas, maybe should add aircraft gascolator to dump the water they add.

Long ago a friend of mine would get batches of rc airplane "glow plug fuel", we all thought is was just plain alcohol with 2-stroke oil, and add it to his gas tank. Turns out that stuff was nitromethane...:yikes:

Oooh I have two bottles of glow plug fuel. One is 20% nitro and the other 30% nitro. :)

Messes up rubber though and sticks to all the lines. Maybe ill just add a little hahaha. Burns your eyes too!

Water. Man it's a pain when they add crap. Some of the biggest brands in Aus have been caught. Not the company. The owner of that particular petrol station.

Pete

Posted via Mobile

I live near Fredericksburg, the area is both a retirement home and tourist trap. 3 stations here diddle with the fuel pump regulators on weekends, seen 2 gallons fill a 1 gallon chainsaw gascan. Visiting bikers think their gas mileage goes down due to our altitude.

Ever heard of platinum catalysts?

I live near Fredericksburg, the area is both a retirement home and tourist trap. 3 stations here diddle with the fuel pump regulators on weekends, seen 2 gallons fill a 1 gallon chainsaw gascan. Visiting bikers think their gas mileage goes down due to our altitude.

Ever heard of platinum catalysts?

That's way more than diddling. Did you turn them, or did they get caught?

I use 91 octane in every one of the XS's, it has no ethanol in it thank god, even though that's hypocrisy since I grow ethanol corn haha... I also throw sea foam in every now and then just for good internal house keeping.

The platinum catalyst = catalytic converter. ;)

40 years ago a gadget appeared, a wire mesh of platinum that would mount between carb and manifold. Solid science, actually works, but I believe most of the versions that hit the street were just wire mesh, no platinum. Fad died out soon after...

Back