Fuel leak?

Xs650911

Banned
Reaction score
My engine has developed a fuel leak when the engine is running. It is dripping from below the carburetors. Are the petcock on/off/reserve? Or prime/on/reserved?
Thanks

You can't read the plate on the petcock when it's up close and personal? I can't see it from here, and my crystal ball broke last week. I don't know what your game is, but I'm not playing.

What year is your bike, If its new enough to have a vacuum petcock its prime, on, reserve and it should shut off when the bike isn't running. If it doesn't have a vac line it will be on, off, reserve and you need to shut it off. Dripping from below the carbs is most likely stuck or ill-adjusted floats allowing the bowls to overflow. But could be a leaky fuel line as well.

The people on here will help if you can post a picture of the rusted petcock, or provide year/ model of the motorcycle
No pics at the moment but the frame says it's a 1977 but I think the engine is a different one than came in it. PLUS I just learned it is not a xs650 fuel tank

Ok I've discovered the fuel petcock isn't original XS650 and it's is a 3 position valve being On, Off and Reserve. How do i determine were the leak is coming from. I know it's dripping from the bottom of the carburetor and shutting the gas OFF DOESN'T

Ok I've discovered the fuel petcock isn't original XS650 and it's is a 3 position valve being On, Off and Reserve. How do i determine were the leak is coming from. I know it's dripping from the bottom of the carburetor and shutting the gas OFF DOESN'T

Hi Xs,
Check if your orphan petcock is vacuum-operated or not.
Check the petcock's function by removing the fuel hose and turning the petcock lever to see which (if any) of it's positions stop the fuel flow.
If turning the petcock lever left, right, or down don't stop the fuel flow try turning it upwards.
You may have to shorten the petcock lever and file the nubbin off the latch plate to do that.

Hi Xs,
Check if your orphan petcock is vacuum-operated or not.
Check the petcock's function by removing the fuel hose and turning the petcock lever to see which (if any) of it's positions stop the fuel flow.
If turning the petcock lever left, right, or down don't stop the fuel flow try turning it upwards.
You may have to shorten the petcock lever and file the nubbin off the latch plate to do that.
Yes it does stop it when I turn it with the end pointing to the back

I've been trying for nearly 2 weeks to get the fuel to stop leaking from my engine. I'm starting a new job Monday and need it for transportation. I don't want to have to ride it with the flooding like it is

I believe it is as Mr Pyles has it ......the float valves or one only
If the bike runs .. shut the petcock and run until i stumbles open petcock do it over again a couple of times
until it stops leaking
I tap the bowls on the outside gently with a screwdriver handle or wooden hammer handle
Inspect the hoses
If this does not work a tear down is the way and Monday can be to soon.
I would test to take down the bowls and flush through gas manually with carburetors still in the bike
Manually operating the floats

Please test the closed petcock running and report back

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacing fuel line is cheap insurance. But do as Jan suggested. Tap of the screwdriver handle has worked for me in the past

Back