Fuel Line I.D.

Jiles

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was given a couple of small rolls of clear tubing that has no markings that I can see.
Anybody know how I can determine if it is Tygon Tubing?

If it's not marked it isn't. Typical Tygon is translucent yellow but it is available black and maybe other colors. IMHO I would not used any unmarked line for fuel. Clip off a bit and toss it in a small covered container of fuel, check on it in a couple days. Even tygon swells a little.

I thought that’s all Tygon made was fuel line.
If you go to their web site and poke around there is a table that shows all the different lines they make and what they are not to be used for.

This tubing is clear and was roll remnants from a chemical lab, that went out of business.
As suggested, I cut a small piece and submerged in gasoline, so will have a better analysis in a day or two.
I am changing from BS34 to BS38 on my 81 and would like to use new fuel line.
Might be smarter to just buy rubber line.

Might be smarter to just buy rubber line.

I purchased some black rubber line from an eBay seller that specialized in vintage Japanese bikes. The seller said that his fuel line was like what manufacturers used back in the 70’s. I don’t remember what fuel line was like back then, but what I received was so thin and flimsy and easily kinked, it went right in the trash. Then I used some clear fuel line made by Emgo. It was 100% the opposite, so thick and stiff you can’t bend it into place without heating it.
In the end I followed the recommendation of other forum members and ordered some Tygon. Not cheap, but best by far.

Most small engine shops stock several sizes of the yellow tygon fuel line, they'll usually sell you some by the foot. It's nice to be able to see the fuel.
Stuff in my shop now is labeled Oregon 07-250 1/4 X 3/8 This is a good fit on our carbs tees petcocks. So prolly tygon sold by oregon the chainsaw accessory company.

Ditto on the small engine shops. The Napa out here also stocks Tygon.

Your clear tubing is likely the vinyl type. Gets very hard after exposure to fuel and heat.

Chainsaws have a "flop tube", a length of fuel line that is in the chainsaw fuel tank, with a small weight on the end, that always settles to the bottom of the tank. Allows you to hold the chainsaw in various orientations and it still gets fuel. The only thing that I know of that can be used for flop tube is that faint green Tygon. Immersed in fuel over the years, and remains flexible.

I tried various diameters of the greenish Tygon on my XS1B, and found the best fit with 3/16" (4.5mm, 0.188") ID. A tiny smear of grease, applied with a toothpick, inside the end of the fuel line, and the fuel line pushes over the pipes quite easily. The grip is enuff to forego using ring clips...

Back