Fuel Petcock

NickB

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the Petcock to clean the tank out and used a little gasket maker to seal it up but its leaking. Whats the best plan of action to get this to seal I can't find the fiber gaskets that were on there will the o-ring seal it up with out one? It looks to be seeping around the edges.

I used a gasoline rated one but it didn't work these are the 1975 oval petcocks i am thinking of buying a sheet of fiber board gasket and cutting it to fit.

Around the screws I had bad luck with fibre washers from a hardware store. They were probably just rated for water. I managed to buy some fibre washers rated for gas and fuel and these work extremely well. If you buy some fibre board gasket just check it is rated for fuel.

Thanks for the help I didn't have anything on the screws at all so I will add that and see if I can find a rating on the fiber board but in the reviews they said it was used on a lawn tractor carb with no issues.

If you get stuck without the proper sealing washers, you can use a simple plain washer and smear it both sides (and the bolt head) with blue Hylomar.
It won't leak. It's not silicone based, and is unaffected by petrol.

I am also having issues with fiber washers leaking. This should be a simple repair. I have tried three different mikes washer kits and they still leak I cannot find the washers anywhere else to try something different. I have tried copper washers and still leak. what can I do to resolve this? I must be doing something incorrect after replacing them three times. I have tried snug pressure to full blown over torque with no success. Please help

Back