Fun Electrical Issues (Headlight stopped working and turn signals stopped flashing)

Tested again, still nothing, photo below shows a pretty whopped rotor.

In trying to remove it, ran into a lot of difficulty. With the bike in gear, rear brake on, friend sitting on the bike, the rotor was still spinning without the rear wheel moving. Impact driver was no help either. I have a piston stop, but I didnt want to try it due to the angle of the spark plugs. I am assuming it is not safe to use engine stops on these engines? Any recommendations?

Remove the nut, it's a normal RH thread. If it's stuck put a box end wrench on it and smack the wrench with a hammer or a 17mm 6 point socket with an air wrench or breaker bar again if needed give a the breaker bar a smart smack with a hammer to loosen. You need to use an XS650 specific rotor puller to get the rotor off. Grease both sets of threads on the rotor puller. Thread puller till it touches rotor then run the bolt in, snug it up with a wrench then pop the end of the bolt with a hammer a time or two. Pops it right off.

Hammer and box wrench did the trick, still no reading, looks like one of the one of the wires soldered to the slip ring was broken off as well.

Sense at some point I wanted to remove the battery from this bike anyway, now seems like a good time to switch to a PMA. Hugh's is out of stock, is the Mikes XS still a good option?

Back