FZR rear wheel Brain Freeze!

Shakey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
As part of my current build http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12980 I am trying to match the complete rear end from an FZR600R ('94) into my XS. I have modded the s/arm to fit and mounted the shock linkage. I had commissioned a custom sprocket builder here in UK to make me a 34t rear that would mount to the FZR sprocket carrier (which I was going to link to an 18t front). 34t won't go! too small for the fzr's bolt locations.
Has anyone out there mated an XS rear sprocket to the fzr carrier, or even mated the XS sprocket and carrier to an FZR wheel hub??
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Btw, the original FZr sprocket is 47t :eek: great for wheelies perhaps but not much else...

Are you using an offset kit or a jackshaft for the wide rear tire? How small did the place that is doing your sprocket say you could go?

Thanks for the reply Travis. Not using a jackshaft - was planning on welding two front sprockets side-by-side and grinding off the teeth on the inner one, then milling the fzr hub and sprocket-carrier to then accept a 520 chain.
The smallest gearing on a custom rear sprocket is a 36t. Even with an 18t up front I think I'll struggle to get any useable drivability out of it.
Going to see my machinist guy today to pick his brains as well.

Gotcha.. I was thinking this would be an easy problem if you were using a jackshaft. I think 36 in the back and 18 in the front would be the same ratios as the stock gearing, 34 in the back and 17 in the front. That should work fine.

That's good news! I think I'll run with the 36t. Thanks for your input:)

Back