G&L choppers

I'm surprised to hear that anyone is waiting on a bike because when I spoke to Rich 3 months ago when I gave home my 3000.00 he said he just finished a bike and I was next in line. Now he won't call me back or return my email. I got one back telling me that his sister was very sick which if true then I'm sorry but still that's all he's sent to me. I need a plan and need to know where the bike is at because I'm not looking to wait that long.

Hey everyone, Donmillerx sent me a message asking for updates with my G&L hardtail and told me about the new discussion that was going on.

My tail finally came about 3-4 weeks ago. Excellent build quality, great looking frame and can't say anything negative about the craftsmanship. From the day I placed my order to the day I got my frame was about 6 months, but thats because I ran into out of the ordinary circumstances. I started off ordering just a hardtail, and that was built on time and all, but due to a wrecked shipping label, it was sent back to the G&L garage instead of my house. At that point, I decided to have G&L weld on the tail. So for me to cut my frame, sort out payments, and shipping time, it delayed the entire process. Rich also informed me that there was a family illness and I am sure that backed work up on a lot of projects. But the bottom line is my frame got here and that's because guys at G&L really care about their work. I must have off handed mentioned to Rich that I was rebuilding my engine. Well the next time I spoke with him (a few weeks later) he asked me how the engine was coming along (kind of impressed me to remember that about a customer he never met in person).

Look, its no secret that these guys have a lot of work to do and its sometimes a few days before you get a response from them. But I knew this when I ordered and was expecting to have to wait around a bit. (plus I can never seem to finish my projects on time anyway so how can I force someone else to be) If you need to finish your build right away, then maybe this isn't the frame for you, but if you like the G&L set up, then it might be worth the wait. Don't get me wrong its hard to wait, but I figure even if I would have gotten my frame set up right away, I would have worked all summer just to get the bike running by the first snow fall and then have to let it sit in the garage and just have it antagonize me winter while I wait for the endless Wisconsin winter to pass.

Rogue do not you think April 2010 for Miller is way too long and 28 months for the other member?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I do think that is a hell of a long time to wait. I must have been lucky only waiting 6 months. But I can't be personally critical of the way a guy runs his operation when my interactions with the garage turned out alright for my situation (maybe I had too much patience). I think there is something to be said about not taking on more work than one can handle, and that its only respectful to be straight and honest with build deadlines and communications.

Just an update on my build, the due date has come and gone. rich won't return my phone calls or emails.

Nobody knows the reason for such long delays except the delayer. When in business,I got a lot of my jobs from clients,frustrated with contractors that failed to finish or even start projects.This would be a great opportunity for someone to start a business of this type,and get the business lost by shops who have a "failure to communicate". lha

I'm not here to bad mouth because I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and I'm really trying to be patient and be understanding and its not easy. But when a guy has your money and he wont call you or email you back my first instinct is to think hes trying to beat you for your money.

I completly agree with lhaolpa. With the choices of some of the builders available today it looks like a great oppertunity for someone to step up and show'em how its really done.
jefft

How hard is it to learn how to chop and weld these frames out of curiosity? I've got a good welder? Unfortunately I have to mechanical talent :)

really, this is effin wonderful. was banging around the net looking for anything on g&l, just found this thread and guess what? ordered a hardtail from g&l middle of october was told 3-4 weeks. emailed 6 wks later, was told it should ship that week. well, it's now been 2 months and 3 weeks, sent an email last week and no reply yet. getting a little worried and a little perturbed and if i don't see anything in a week or so i'll try a phone call. i'm almost a whole continent away so i can't pay a visit for a lttle face to face so if he doesn't deliver, i guess i'll have to see if visa will reimburse me. anyway, just to add my own half-cent's worth, i'm a carpenter. i don't tell a prospective customer 2 weeks and finish it 5 weeks later. i don't take on jobs that i can't handle within a reasonable time frame that the customer is happy with (i usually refer them to someone who has more work than me-heh- but i'm at least letting them know if they want me, there may be a wait, and they can make a decision from there). good customer service is part of being a good business. anyway, sorta makes my day knowing i may not get my hardtail, and it just plain sucks that there are others who have invested as much or more than me and are ending up with nothing. just wish i'd done more research before ordering.

I have sent a frame to G&L to have the tail welded on. It was my 1st build so I thought, they build the frames and have the jig to weld them on straight I would send it down there. I'm from Canada (saskatchewan) and after talking to Rich about maybe welding it on myself, he talked me into sending it there for him to do it so it gets welded on straight and within 6 weeks I would have it back. Well, guess what, it was sent in oct/11 and it arived there, I told him what I wanted done, money was exchanged from my hands to his and comunication was good up until then and not still no frame.......no comunication whatsoever!! Last email I got from him was his sister was sick. After reading all of these 4 pages i'm not sure anyones sick. I run a small Motor repair shop and I am so upfront in the time frame of when a unit will get fixed cause the last thing I want is a customer breathing down my neck saying "you said" I wish Rich would have been up front with us all and turned some work away because he was to busy to handle it all. I think he has dug a big hole now. I paid him $1350 and ALOT NERVOUS NOW!:wtf: And feel like I might as well :banghead: cause i'm not getting any answers!!

I have sent a frame to G&L to have the tail welded on. It was my 1st build so I thought, they build the frames and have the jig to weld them on straight I would send it down there. I'm from Canada (saskatchewan) and after talking to Rich about maybe welding it on myself, he talked me into sending it there for him to do it so it gets welded on straight and within 6 weeks I would have it back. Well, guess what, it was sent in oct/11 and it arived there, I told him what I wanted done, money was exchanged from my hands to his and comunication was good up until then and not still no frame.......no comunication whatsoever!! Last email I got from him was his sister was sick. After reading all of these 4 pages i'm not sure anyones sick. I run a small Motor repair shop and I am so upfront in the time frame of when a unit will get fixed cause the last thing I want is a customer breathing down my neck saying "you said" I wish Rich would have been up front with us all and turned some work away because he was to busy to handle it all. I think he has dug a big hole now. I paid him $1350 and ALOT NERVOUS NOW!:wtf: And feel like I might as well :banghead: cause i'm not getting any answers!!

damn is $1350.00 what all you guys are paying for a hardtail to be welded on? or is that a whole frame?

No, not just for welding, it was the tail,rear rim,peanut tank and forward controls

ah, i can kinda see that then. that sucks guys. i hope it works out for you. i spent 8 months waiting for some foot controls and a seat mounted from a local shop. its a horrible feeling.

Anybody dealing with Ardcore these days? Having any better luck then what I am hearing here with G&L?
Jefft

Last edited:
Hey just to give everyone a heads up! I finally got my bike from G&L. Rich threw in some extras because of the wait and I couldn't be happier with the results. It took some time to get the bike and I kicked and screamed about the wait but in the end the bike arrived. I can post some pics if anyone wants to see.

Good to hear some people are starting to get their stuff. Yet it makes me curious because I am coming up on 30 months of waiting...

Post those pics, glad you are happy with it.

Back