Garage Art

I like to decorate my garage work spaces with vintage gizmos and gadgets from the 20's, 30's and 40's.
On a recent trip to the Catskill mountains on my '83 XS650 I discovered an old barn converted to an antiques shop.

One of the things I bought seems to be a vintage (30's?) magnetometer, perhaps used to locate underground water pipes.

It is made of bakelite, glass and chromed trim and is fully functional. It was a bit of a struggle to remove it from its leather case.

View attachment 219829View attachment 219831

View attachment 219830

A bit about bakelite:

In 1909, a Belgian chemist named Leo Baekeland created the first entirely synthetic plastic—and it would revolutionize the way many consumer goods were manufactured. Baekeland called his plastic “Bakelite.” Its properties made it suited for a much wider variety of purposes than its predecessors. For example, it was resistant to heat and would not conduct electricity, so it was a really good insulator—which made it particularly useful in the automotive and electrical industries emerging in the early 1900s.

Like many modern plastics, Bakelite was lightweight and durable, and it could be molded into nearly infinite shapes, so its use quickly expanded as manufacturers realized its potential. Consumers primarily were attracted to its aesthetic qualities: a sleek, stylish look coupled with a substantial, high-end feel. People bought Bakelite jewelry boxes, lamps, desk sets, clocks, radios, telephones, kitchenware, tableware, and a variety of game pieces such as chess sets, billiard balls, and poker chips. Bakelite ushered in a new era of attractive, affordable, convenient consumer goods, making it possible for a broad range of consumers to enjoy products that previously had been inaccessible.

View attachment 219834

View attachment 219835

Now I just need to find a spot for it on the shelves.....

View attachment 219833
Don’t forget the Bakelite AK-47 mags!

I used to use a magnetometer just like that one when I first started working for the city I live in
We used it to find any buried steel objects mostly finding the curb boxes for water shutoffs in front of peoples homes
It wasn't the best tool to use for that but it's what we had then
Now they just use metal detectors Quick and easy
Mikey,
I came across this youtube video of a guy using this magnetometer to find buried iron property markers:

A friend asked me this morning the question of how common is it in New York STate (or elsewhere) that a house built in the 60's (like hers) has buried iron property markers? Do you know?

When we bought our property 17yrs ago we had a surveyor find the boundary's so I could find the property lines to locate my shop as near as I could to the property lines
Here they found both rear property stakes just using a metal detector and from there the established the front post locations
The house was built in the 50's
If you have utility lines between properties often they are on the property line
Kinda like sharing the easement between the 2

In our area an iron rod of certain dimensions (something like 1" diameter by 2') was (still is?) required at boundary direction changes when lots are surveyed.
I had a job one summer cutting thousands of survey stakes off of 20' lengths of rod on an iron worker.
I found those rods at my current property boundaries.

In our area an iron rod of certain dimensions (something like 1" diameter by 2') was (still is?) required at boundary direction changes when lots are surveyed.
I had a job one summer cutting thousands of survey stakes off of 20' lengths of rod on an iron worker.
I found those rods at my current property boundaries.
I know when we had our property survey a year or so back again due to problem neighbor they were able to find at least a couple of those marker rods I mower over top of them for decades.

PS: Neighbor had to tear down about half of his chicken coop that was over the line and since then went on to completely tear it down. Possibly because town rules say , buildings for livestock have to be something like 50 feet from property lines! And yes we had checked with the town and chickens if used for egg production, even personal use, are considered livestock!

I recognize a Simpson 260 in your collection. It’s still a useful tool for sure.
Cool collection Dude - it looks like a very nice place in which to work!

When I worked for Schlumberger Wireline in West Africa, we used Simpson meters and in fact, they were simply referred to as "Simpsons" rather than as multimeters.

Wanting to not leave anyone out of this conversation, for those not familiar with this particular Simpson model, this is my 260 from the 1950's (as best my memory serves me with 2 beers in my head at the moment:)), with Bakelite case and original leather strap handle. It weighs a whopping 3.6 pounds ( ! ) without the battery.
It is a prized item in my Bakelite collection. I love it.

Simpson2.jpg
Simpson1.jpg

A quick look says they still make them. They’re now about $400.
....although not with a bakelite case these days, of course. They now use a phenolic plastic and Simpson differentiates the newer models from the one Jim used by labelling them the 260-8 and 260-8P.

It now weighs only 3 pounds, so internally there are likely some differences as well, perhaps.

I lucked out 20 years ago at a flea market and grabbed mine for $25. The lady didn't know what she had.

....although not with a bakelite case these days, of course. They now use a phenolic plastic and Simpson differentiates the newer models from the one Jim used by labelling them the 260-8 and 260-8P.

It now weighs only 3 pounds, so internally there are likely some differences as well, perhaps.

I lucked out 20 years ago at a flea market and grabbed mine for $25. The lady didn't know what she had.

My employer required me to buy a Simpson 260 back in the 80’s. I didn’t/wouldn’t do it. I had a digital and test lights. I might like to have it today, but still not necessary. I’d likely grab it if one came up cheap.

Did a walk around the shop today to photograph the garage art. Enjoy.

1. Corvair hood complete with patina and bullet holes
  2. Numbers from my '77 Jag at Mid-Ohio High Performance Drivers Education Class
  3. Think with your dipstick Jimmy!
  4. Wauseon Bike Days & signed Chris Carr poster
  5. Fractions to decimals tin from the '50's
  6. Stay in your element
  7. More Wauseon Bike Days
  8. 12 cylinder cam covers off of the '77
  9. Santa is Great Stuff
  10. Passed the written test - lol
  11. Jag's my other past time
  12. Measure for the radiator, build a wooden mock up radiator, test fit, draw an engineering print for approval, build the radiator.
  13. First step to an Art Morrison Chassis. Turn the car upside down. Every six inches measure the height off the ground to the bottom of the frame, & measure the width. Mail the diagram back with your deposit on the real thing.
  14. Firebird cabinet
  15. John and Ashley Force Stand up
  16. Castrol logo tin
  17. Way out with a "destroyer helm wheel" off of "South Park"
  18. "South Park" bridge sign boards in 24k gold leaf
  19. Tin advertising on a hood with the Castrol logo
  20. Dick Trickle "5" from one of my shirts- BP lubricants chipped in money to have their name on the "B" pillar.
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_E1003.JPG
IMG_E1005.JPG
IMG_E1006.JPG
IMG_E1008.JPG
IMG_E1009.JPG
IMG_E1010.JPG
IMG_E1017.JPG
IMG_E1019.JPG
IMG_E1022.JPG

Nice Corvair deck lid all patina like that, and the black Corsa is beauty. I had about 5 or 6 of them, drove 2 perhaps a total of 80,000 miles. Great, Great cars!

Nice Corvair deck lid all patina like that, and the black Corsa is beauty. I had about 5 or 6 of them, drove 2 perhaps a total of 80,000 miles. Great, Great cars!
I somehow remember riding in one as a small child, one belonging to my uncle, to grandma's. I don't know why I remember it was a Corvair. Plus I remember it was white. The next one I see is 50 yrs later and there's a dozen of them at a motel on the way to a Corvair convention.

Used to have a 1qt Mason jar on a shop shelf filled with motor oil and a grotesquely twisted connecting rod cap, connecting rod fragments and piston skirt shards. That's all the was left inside the pan, as the connecting rod itself departed the block through an abruptly-created opening in its side. This was a reminder that a BMW E12 motor with stock rods cannot be wound consistently to 8200 rpm. (BMW 2002 oval track mini-sportsman)

Back