Garrett T25 Turbo Build

That is a good question. The compressor map would give good information on what flow rate and at what psi . The diesel turbo may have a different aspect ratio that will affect spool up too.

Quick update. Received the rebuilt crank with better rods and welded crank pins. Beautiful job Hugh's Handbuilt!!!!!!!! It is engine rebuilding time!

Using the mikes xs replacement rods. What rods have you had the best luck with? I tore the engine down and found the alternator side flywheel walked about a sixteenth of an inch. It was a good time to replace the stock crank!

Here is a pic of the stock crank after about 200 miles. A different set of engine cases are waiting for assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_20130613_194451_683.jpg
    IMG_20130613_194451_683.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 195
Question: cowboy, what is your static ignition timing and overall timing at full advance? I am stuck with the stock Yamaha electronic ignition setup and need to retard the timing. The engine pings when boost exceeds 5psi and rolling onto wot. It didn't do that before (if i remember correctly) when the cr was higher due to the higher amount of squish in the cylinder. I have so far richened up the mixture from the past setup with no luck in curing the knock. I can hear 3 distinct ping events as the throttle is rolled on and boost builds. I am thinking of drilling auxiliary mounting holes that will place the pickup coil in a different location on the stator and slotting the pickup coil holes for finer timing refinement. If anyone can provide feedback, input is welcome. Thanks guys.

Found out this morning that there has been a noticeable vacuum leak on the right cylinder. Hopefully this gives the cylinder the correct mixture and decreases the amount of detonation.

I am also using the stock TCI system.am also using 110 octane race fuel.would like to adapt another ignition system so I can pull timing out down track.

Hey, guys, got a trick for you to cogitate over. When I 750'd my XS, I did a 1 mm offset bore to the cyl block (to the rear), installed sleeves, bored normally, still fit the case. 10.5:1, no ping, no ding. (old Honda trick)....

Hey, guys, got a trick for you to cogitate over. When I 750'd my XS, I did a 1 mm offset bore to the cyl block (to the rear), installed sleeves, bored normally, still fit the case. 10.5:1, no ping, no ding. (old Honda trick)....

Would this effectively move the path of the piston lower in the cylinder bore? And I guess why would you wanna do this?

Not sure about offset boring....
Xsjohn wrote a thread about adjusting the timing on tci sign xs's. He slotted the top hole in the pickup coil bracket and left the bottom one alone. He found that it was good for 5 deg of timing shift.

Back