Gas leaking from hoses.

feliz

simpleton
Reaction score
My stock 75 has been dripping a bit of fuel from the two rubber hoses that come down between the carbs and end just about in the middle of the carbs. What's the purpose of these hoses? This only happens when the bike is on the sidestand, it doesn't happen on the centerstand or if the petcocks are closed. I was having coffee with a friend today, forgot to turn the petcocks off, and came out to a small puddle....not an awful lot but.......! Is this a sign of impending trouble. As you can tell I'm not a mechanical whiz, any help/insight is appreciated. TIA.

It's probably best if you post some pics. Your carbs have several hoses on them. Some are vents, some are overflow hoses from the float bowls. Gas shouldn't come out the vent hoses but might come out the overflows if the float needles and seats are wearing out.

Thanks. I looked in the service manual and the hoses that the fuel is coming from are the vents. I can't find anything about the cause though!!

Take the hoses off up to your petcock to make sure that's not drip leaking when the bike is off. If that's leaks then it will cause that problem. I just had the same problem w my bike. Was the petcock. Eventually the bowls will fill up. Another problem you might be having as a result is gas can fill the carb and run into the engine diluting you oil. You might want to change your oil soon. That will kill your engine

Gas shouldn't come out the vents. The overflow pipes in the float bowls are lower than the vents. Gas should come out them 1st. Maybe your overflow pipes are plugged. You do have them, right? There are hoses attached to nipples on the bottoms of the float bowls, right? If not, then someone may have swapped a later set of bowls onto you carbs. '78-'79 bowls had no overflow pipes or nipples on the bottom.

Not to hi jack the thread, but I have the same bike and have the nipples on the bottom of the bowls but no hoses coming off of them. Where are the hoses supposed to go?

Yes, I have the nipples with the hoses which are just routed so any leaking fuel lands on the ground not on your bike. My bike has fittings mounted to hold and route the hoses.
I have no fuel leaking from those hoses but oddly from the vent hoses which as 5twins states are higher than the float bowl.

Back