Gasket Recomendations

4stroke

4stroke
Reaction score
what up guys i am currently rebuilding 75 xs650 engine and am wondering what gasket kit i should buy?? i no theres alot on ebay and mikexs has some just wondering what would be the best i would prob be using a light coat of yama bond on case cover and such

Last edited:
I have used only the Athena ones form Mikes and yes, Yamabond on all the things even if others say no ;). I also recommend copper coat on the base gasket. You can find the spray at any auto parts store.

ps- I am sure others will have better or other methods, but this is what works for me personally.

I have used only the Athena ones form Mikes and yes, Yamabond on all the things even if others say no ;). I also recommend copper coat on the base gasket. You can find the spray at any auto parts store.

ps- I am sure others will have better or other methods, but this is what works for me personally.

Do you mean apply on every connection? even the one with gaskets?

Gobs of gasket sealer all over a motor are the telltale signs of a rookie mechanic. There are certain areas that use no gaskets and require sealer but the places with gaskets usually get none. That's what the gasket's for. There are tons of threads on top end jobs here. Find and read some. That will tell you where to put the sealer.

You might think you'll save a very few bucks buying Athena, but be aware that what you're buying is nowhere close to OE spec. (and yes, Gertrude, a difference of .017" in head gasket thickness is significant). Vesrah gaskets are Japanese made to OE specs and quality.

i was thinking using versah my self! i rebuilt a cb350 with a versah gasket set and seemed to be pretty good quaility

Back