Gauge question

feliz

simpleton
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to tear into my gauges after having bad experiences in the past trying to repair gauges, mostly on my CB750s. The face of my speedometer has started vibrating separate from the remainder on the gauge. My bike is a 75B with a nice set of gauges and I'm a little fearful to tear into it. Can these gauges be taken apart, the two screws holding the face of the gauge tightened, and then put back together?

I'm mechanically inept so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

XS650-1-2.jpg

Check out my albums. I have one devoted to the disassembley of the face and you can repair/tighten the screws from there.

Not hard to do, just need to take your time and don't stretch the metal to much at any one time, make several passes lifting the tab.

Sorry i have removed the album for modification. I will reinstall it now, will take some time.

Album reinstalled.

Last edited:
I used 650skull's method to get my glass off and back on a couple years ago. It's very easy. Non-intuitively easy. If you ride it much at all like it is you'll soon be shopping for new gauges when the needle breaks off.

It's very worth it to order new damping rings from Yamaha if they're still available for your year like they are for mine. Just slip them in the cans first and then slide the gauge body in. Slit it where the trip counter sticks out. The original ones have shrunk to goo and aren't doing any damping.

Yep, been into mine too, loose screw, set replacement odo to bikes actual mileage, insert light indicators where there were none before, replace indicator needles, gauge faces exchange.........

feliz, The 74/75 Gauges are different frome the ones, (76-83), in my pictorial, the same method to remove the lens can be used but the bodies of the 74/75 gauges are metal instead of plastic.

The rubbers on the 74/75 gauges, (Between the gauge and bracket), is usually destroyed from the vibration, looks like they get melted from the friction, and it is imposable to replace with original ones. I have found a solution to this problem by buying some rubber and making new ones up. I haven't taken pics yet but will en-devour to do so in the next few days.

Bike looks real nice, the mufflers are from the later 76-79 Standard models, slims down the look.

650Skull, nice albums, very good proc on instrument disassembly, really like your 'tech' album.
"Gently Bently" haha, that's the battlecry of the week.

Somewhere in this forum is a post where a member used a paint can pry-tool.
There's another thread where a member used a piece of large-diameter shrink tube to rebezel the instrument.

Back