For Sale - Gauging interest in Alto 8 pack clutch kits.

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
I just found a source for the Alto friction plates part#094700-250, which are the 2.49mm thick friction plates. I was thinking of putting together a few sets (with the extra needed steel plate) and putting them up for sale here. If my source is right on the pricing it looks like it will be about $70 (for 8 friction plates and 1 steel plate) shipped in the lower 48. If there is enough interested I will order enough for 5 sets. So if any one is interested let me know. I plan on ordering them next week (they say it will take about 4 weeks for delivery) once they arrive I will get with the interested parties to arrange payment and get shipping addresses.

Are these superior to other kits out there like day ebc? Will be installing 750 kit soon so would like to upgrade clutch as well. Thanks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest advantage to the Alto clutch discs is that they are 2.49mm thick, versus 3.0+mm thich of the stock discs, so that you can put 8 of them in the earlier 7 disc clutches without any machining (there would be some maching required for the later 6 dsic clutches but far less than using 8 of the stock or comparable thickness plates such as Versah, EBC or Barnett). Essentially what you get if you convert from a 7 disc clutch to an 8 disc clutch is a gain of approx. 14% in surface area of the clutch which translates into a greater ability of the clutch to keep from slipping. Add in some heavier springs and you should have a rock solid clutch that can handle more HP.

I ride my bike rather hard and with new OEM springs, all plates in the serviceable ranges and the proper JASO rated oil I still get a bit of slippage in 2nd and 3rd under hard acceleration. My plan is to do this mod (I have a '74 7 disc clutch) and add in some barnett springs.

Last edited:
First few sets of clutch kits went out on Monday. I got a total of 12 sets and have 5 sets left. These include 8 Alto 2.50mm friction plates and 1 new OEM steel plate for conversionof the '74 to '79 7 plate clutches to an 8 plate clutch with NO MACHINING. If you are interested let me know I can ship them out within 2 business days as long as I have them in stock. I prefer paypal but I can make other arrangements if needed. My paypal address is ippytattoo@cableone.net

Quick update. Clutch kits are back in stock and ready to ship. I have 8 with new OEM steel disks and 2 with used known good steel disks. If anyone is interested PM me. They are (prices include shipping in the U.S.) $70 for the ones with the new steel disk and $65 for the ones with the used steel disks. I also have 1 inner clutch hub if you are interested and have a later style clutch. It is $40 shipped in the U.S.

Back