G'Day From Adelaide, Australia

johnno3au

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I've been riding for 20 years with my preference being for sport touring japanese motorcycyles (with the odd sports bike chucked in). This is my first foray into the classic jap motorcycle scene. Ive just purchased a black 1978 XS650 special, imported into Australia from Mansfield Ohio with 9700 miles on the clock. I've only had it for a week but I love it already!! I now know what people mean by the statement "riding a real motorcycle". It rattles my teeth loose & has that old air cooled bike smell but it puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it. She is cosmetically really good but needs some carb work (nothing unusual I've been told). Other than that the bike runs sweet. I would like to fit electronic ignition to it & some pull back handlebars. The bike came with the original Yamaha sissy bar accessory (I think its original) which I intend to fit as well. Any advice as to what I should replace on the old girl would be appreciated (bronze swing arm bushes, cam chain tensioner, etc??). I believe she has been in storage for quite some time. Photo's to be posted soon.

Cheers

Another Aussie joins the team.

Look into XS650.org.au there is a lot of local info there and between there and here you got someone who knows everything there is to know XS..

I rrurrreeppprressent.....bwaahahaa...tttthhhaaattt....aarrrrggghhhh.....rrreemmmmmmmaarrrrkkk *twitch*...lol

Nah we don't drink the tap water over here.....we walk on it

What side of city are you? did bike come from YRS??
Mark

I'm in the northern burbs. I bought the bike private from a fella in the western burbs & I believe he bought it from YRS. Funny thing is though is that everyone I've talked to about YRS say it was a bad experience dealing with them. Seems their reputation is spreading...

hi yes adeliade is in australia,,,,, now between you and me ,,,,,,,its called the city of churches,,,,,,, and our new friend is only 3hours or so from me by fast bike or fast car .... regards oldbiker

Last edited:
Welcome to the site I have been lurking on here for awhile. It is a great site, lots of info,If its been done it is probably on here or will soon be. I hail from one of the northern parts of the states.Up in northern Minnesota.Long way from you.I have had my stocker 78 special since about 1980 Never will get rid of it. Have a couple of others I will be working on.Maybe a cafe from a 1980 that I picked up for 60.00 dollars.Actually bought it for some parts. Welcome again and watch out for the other drivers who never see you.

Welcome johnno3au,
Yea join the Aussie 650 club and you will getalot of help and advice localy They have their AGM in Sydney, Melbourn and Brisbane turn about each year, usually coinsiding with an event of some kind.

The 650 club AGM is in Brissie this year on the same weekend of the Gatton Swap Meet.
Does any one from here intend to go to either. I will be there at the AGM and also the Swap meet, will have a lot of XS parts for sale there.

I'm a member it only took a fe months for them to send me my badge & card etc….with lots of non answered emails……That was disappointing. Lots of good knowledge there.

You buying or selling parts skull?

I'm a member it only took a fe months for them to send me my badge & card etc....with lots of non answered emails......That was disappointing. Lots of good knowledge there.

You buying or selling parts skull?

Selling. got a semi basket case, 80SG that i will have ready for sale and parts that i am going through as well.

David Rayner, Secretary/treasurer works in the mines and has 2 on and 1 off so has a little trouble doing the club job as well, Terry Gliddon is more responsive with emails and helping out, try him. They need a forum for the site then we could have better response to questions.

Selling. got a semi basket case, 80SG that i will have ready for sale and parts that i am going through as well.

David Rayner, Secretary/treasurer works in the mines and has 2 on and 1 off so has a little trouble doing the club job as well, Terry Gliddon is more responsive with emails and helping out, try him. They need a forum for the site then we could have better response to questions.

Yep have been in touch with Terry and he has been helpful sending me the newsletters, but as David does the memberships had to just till he sorted it. They definitely need to get updated with a forum!

PM me deatils of what your going to sell, I might save you lugging some of it to market.

Did you see the 2 XS choppers and spare frame that was selling in QLD..on Fleabay?

Thanks to all for the great welcome:). I've only had my XS for a week, ridden it twice and absolutely love it already!! She is one in my array of bikes that will never be sold!!

Cheers everyone:thumbsup:

Givin'ya a big welcome here from the top of the world, where it get's colder than a witch's tittie. Been there, in the 70's. Went across your beautiful country back then, in a Rover. Took me 9 month's. Had a great time. So, G'Day to y'all.

Back