Gear Ratios

TwoJugs

Excess XS
Reaction score
I am looking to try some different gear ratios for 1/8 mile drags. I want to gear it down for better hole shot and use more gears. I see 13 - 14 - -15 - tooth motor sprockets for sale. I have a few wheel sprockets on the shelves too. Any rules on changing motor sprockets, minimum sizes? Advantages to uping the wheel sprocket instead. I know the bike now had an 18 tooth drive gear. It just about hits the case cover support and clutch rod. It was running 1/4 miles. Most bikes I see only use 3 gears in the 1/8. Being a smaller motor then most I am looking to use more gears to help the run. Anyone played around witrh gearing?

Nice info Pete. Thanks. Took a while to figure out what I was looking at but very useful once I got it down. Too bad the pinion values didn't go lower for my ap. I see smaller front gears available and I think a swap there might be easier to do than change rear sprockets while testing and tuning.

Great! Now I need to dig through the axle sprockets and see how many teeth they are. If you can help me with my timing, jetting, tire pressures and launch revs I might be able to get down the track in style.

Thanks Pete.

Back