Gear shift barrel problems!!!!!

Airwolfie

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I just replaced my shift shaft and lever. I though before closing the right, I'd have a look to see if the gear change works on the barrel. Well, It doesn't! :yikes:

I can manage to shift three times and that's it, once down and twice up. I have tried spinning the back wheel whilst doing so, and no change. I then noticed under the star I only have four dowels, should there not be five?? It also seems like the arm does not or can't shift over far enough to push the star further. The distances of the little arm either side of the star are the same, so it's not that. I hope this fecking thing is not in the wrong way, because that means I will have to take the engine out and open up the bottom case!! I DO NOT want to do that!!! AAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! Never easy with this POS!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'll try to take pics and do a vid maybe

I just managed to find neutral!! Is this the right position for the star to be in neutral??

14136007847_c6872b8b39_b.jpg

And here is a blurry pic of the "missing" dowel. It is right next to the arm thet is now pointing down in the picture above.

14135929170_26868efeed_b.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

OK it seems there are only four dowels, so mine is right.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650h-1981_model8828/partslist/C-08.html#results

On that list, number four is what I mean, and they seem to only offer four to buy, so I'm assuming there should be one missing. I suppose it prevents the barrel from rotating indefinitely. Ok, it's making more and more sense now.

But if someone could just tell me if the position of the star is correct when it's in neutral like mine, so then HOPEFULLY it will all work once I put this thing together again!

Airwolfie, ignore the shifter claw for the moment, and operate the shift drum using a phillips screwdriver.

With left hand rocking the rear wheel to allow gear changes, rotate the drum counterclockwise. This is downshifting. Continue until it won't rotate anymore, and you get to first gear. Also, note that there should be no pin for the shifter claw to grab to continue this rotation.

Observe the indexing wheel (stopper) while doing this, it should settle between pins for each gear.

Now, rotate the drum clockwise (upshifting) by 1/2 of a pin spacing. You should feel it pause at neutral. Rear wheel should spin freely here. See where the starwheel mark is, and note that the indexer wheel (stopper) is poised atop one of the indexer pins.

Continue this clockwise turning of the shiftdrum (while simultaneously wiggle/rotating the rear wheel), through all the gears, confirming that they're all there, and that finally at 5th gear, there is no pin for the shifter claw to grab (so you can't get that secret 6th gear).

Also, while doing this, check for that equidistant spacing of shifter claw and pins.

Cycle back down to neutral, so you won't have any surprises later.

P.S. - One of the pins is longer than the others, and fits into a recess of the star-shaped pin retainer. The exploded parts diagram, and the service manual should indicate which hole receives that longer pin. I believe it's the last clockwise hole. The star must fit to that pin.

Thanks Twomany! I have managed to find neutral, and the arm of the star to the left is in fact dowel-less. I did manage to rotate the barrel all the way to the other side, so fingers crossed it should work!! The rear wheel spins freely now. I'll keep it there for now and hope for the best!

So where it is now in pic one is where I got neutral!

Fellers, I must have heard my name mentioned on the ether.

Airwolfie, panic not.
Yes, TwoMany is spot on again, neutral is at 6 o'clock. What I have always done is find equidistant at neutral, then is every gear - it seems to vary every so very slightly in each gear probalby due to the two little springs. The Haynes diagram has the adjustments being made when in the engine is in fifth gear (just about ten past), and that works for me.

The two little springs you can see, the perfectionist would want to make sure they are well tensioned or even replace them - it is wear on these little springs that is at the root of those many posts: 'Can't find neutral', 'Where has fourth and fifth gone', and 'Help, I need my gears back.'

I raise the bike and put the gear foot lever on and reach through to operate to hear those lovely clicks and see the smooth up-and-down operation.

ANLAF

Thanks guys! Not sure about the "master of starwheel" lol!

Anlaf, the shifter is brand new, so the springs should be properly tensioned! I have closed the right side cover, and contemplating whether I should add the oil! I guess I could as there is no more need to open her up again, I HOPE!!

You guys rock!!

Back