Gearing up for another cross country trip

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning for another cross country trip on my XS and am coming into some money to do things on my bike I haven't had a chance to get around to. I ride a 1980 XS650 Special and had a few questions. First, I want to put a PMA on my bike. Does the kit from Hugh's Handbuilt have everything I need to do the swap? If not, what else would I need to do. Also, how many miles do you think i can go without getting first oversized pistons. I'm sitting at 23,000 at the moment and expect to start my trip with around 25,000. I want to make sure it will make it to 35,000 miles without many problems. Do I need to be concerned about the wear on the cylinder at this point? Any other modifications I should consider before a ~10,000 mile trip? Thanks all.

I hope you are planning a southern route.?
Sounds like a fun way to pass the winter and wish I could go.
Sorry no advice for your trip other than take a connected piece of hardware so you can give a shout out if problems arise.

Thats a pretty vague question. Cant judge engine wear without tear down, unless you have visual signs like oil burning or filings in your oil or it has low compression numbers.

you will have to upgrade your ignition system if you go PMA, as it does away with the stock pick up coil and trigger. the Pamco is a great system, and I have heard good things about the new electronic advance kit that you can get with it.

Would this be what I need to install along with a PMA? http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0902.html

Yes- the only problem with that kit is the advance rod. Some people are having problems with them binding. Find a used original if you can. The swap is easy.

Regarding the HHB PMA, I just did the swap on an 81. I have a few minor issues with the product, but overall I am VERY happy with it. I'm planning on writing a review after I get some more miles on it. The swap is very easy. The only problem you may have with a bike you want to keep stock looking is that the reg/rec did NOT bolt into the stock location on mine (even though he promises that it will on his website). The holes were about a 1/4"~1/2" off. I relocated it to the bottom of my electronics box--my bike isn't stock so this wasn't a big deal for me.

Cheers,
Adam

How are they binding? Is it something that can be fixed with the mikes rod? I'm always a bit skeptical buying used parts.

How are they binding? Is it something that can be fixed with the mikes rod? I'm always a bit skeptical buying used parts.

Search the forum, I can't remember. That's a solid piece of metal that barely moves - not something to worry about buying used. OEM will be better than Mikes!

Back