Geesh,,, just my luck,,,ANOTHER DELAY,,, hehhehheh,,,busted leg,,,

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
Man,,
The 2 wheeled gods must despise me for some reason. I was playing softball LAST Saturday,, before Memorial Day with some young (1/3 my age) players. I thought I was an animal while playing,,, well these guys are just wild and way more killer instinct than I am.
I was rounding 2nd,, on my way home and plowed into 3rd baseman,,,well he walked away and I didn't.
So on Sunday I was a bit sore,,had a small bruise going on with my right ankle,, no big deal. I expected that.
Monday I had to be in Philly for our twice a year disaster recovery testing. I always go 1 day early to check in and get stuff ready for the sys-admins so when they come in,,, most is ready. This is a 4 day drill mind ya.
So I walk every day from the Hotel (Doubletree Hilton on Broad street) to the co-lo,,,about 5 city blocks ,,1 way. Did this for 3 days plus all the normal walking I do while at SunGard.
I get home like 8PM on Thursday evening and my calf and ankle is all bruised and black/blue/orange,,, lmao. So after work on Friday,, I go to the OIP,,(Orthopedic Institute of Pa) to see whats up as it wasn't getting better.
Seems I have a hairline fracture in one of the lower leg bones and some severe bruising and other minor damage. Gonna be 4 to 6 weeks in one of those strap on boot things. So I will be putting the electric start back on my bike bc it will be end of summer till I can kick it to start it,,and I wanna ride.
DEEP SIGH,,,,,I just can't catch a "break" it seems. LMAO

Attachments

• 0602171404_HDR.jpg
    0602171404_HDR.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 0602171616_HDR.jpg
    0602171616_HDR.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 182
Hi 'fred,
nah, it's the softball gods that despise you.
The 2-wheeled gods are looking after you as best they can by having you carefully save the bike's E-start to re-install.
Let me suggest that to keep your broken foot off the ground you build a sidecar onto your bike?
(Rigid bike sidecar builds easy, rectangular frame, donut wheel off a trailer, attach a cartop carrier to put stuff in)
Your first sidecar trip should be to drop off your softball gear at a charity shop.

I worked with a guy who was sure he could play basketball with a bunch of teenagers, He was wrong too! Lessons learned the hard way are often the lessons best learned. I'm sure we all have some, I know I do. Heal up quick.

Yea,,,
I DID learn a painful lesson,,,
DON'T PLAY WITH EM !!!
Gonna try the left foot thing,, see how it goes.
If not,,,Then I will have to try and remember which box I put my old starter and associated gears and bolts in.
THAT should be a fun search,,, hehheh

Yea,,,
I DID learn a painful lesson,,,
DON'T PLAY WITH EM !!!
Gonna try the left foot thing,, see how it goes.
If not,,,Then I will have to try and remember which box I put my old starter and associated gears and bolts in.
THAT should be a fun search,,, hehheh

Hi 'fred,
and what's the rule when you do find the box of starter parts?
DO NOT DROP IT ON YOUR FOOT!

Well,,
First day of vacation,,i should be in the way to Laconia,,but oh well,,,next year I guess.
Taking today to try and wrap a few things up on the bike while the leg heals.
Today I am re doing the throttle cables,,i wssnt too happy with the kit I bought so I went to the local bicycle shop and bought some quality mandrel pulled cables. After twisting they are pulled through a die to make them smoother. They are also a little smaller in diameter. Only issue is that I needed to grind down the lead ends a bit to get an in the 2 into 1 connector. Solder em in,,resheath em and see how it goes.
0608171127_HDR.jpg

Hi 'fred,
that's a 1 into 2 throttle cable? I never did trust those things and home-fixed versions are liable to be worse.
Think about switching to a dual cable twistgrip instead.

Hey Fred,,,
Yea,,,mine is a 2 into 1 that I got from Hoos.
My throttle was also sourced from him,it needed some grinding to make it work but it's done and works.
I saw those dual cable ones but wasn't sure how it worked. Is there a particular one you prefer? ,

Hey Fred,,,
Yea,,,mine is a 2 into 1 that I got from Hoos.
My throttle was also sourced from him,it needed some grinding to make it work but it's done and works.
I saw those dual cable ones but wasn't sure how it worked. Is there a particular one you prefer? ,

Hl 'fred,
last bike I had with separate throttle cables was a Royal Enfield Interceptor mebbe 40 years ago.
It's dual cable twistgrip worked just like an ordinary one except it was set up to pull two cables.

Ouch - sorry to hear about your leg Fred.

As a guy with a bad right knee (teenage injury), I feel your pain, and have done so since the summer of 1974 which I spent in a cast on a couch in the basement watching the US Senate Watergate hearings with Sen. Sam Ervin and Sen. Lowell Weicker.

Ooopps, no politics...sorry about that...

Last edited:
Ouch - sorry to hear about your leg Fred.

As a guy with a bad right knee (teenage injury), I feel your pain, and have done so since the summer of 1974 which I spent in a cast on a couch in the basement watching the US Senate Watergate hearings with Sen. Sam Ervin and Sen. lLowell Weicker.

Ooopps, no politics...
Hey thanks Pete.. I really wanted to be in Laconia too this weekend.
But between the leg and my bike not really ready for a 1000 mile+ week,,, we opted to stay home.
Heading out to Maryland today to spend some quality "wife" time if y'all get the drift.

Yup - the early-mid 70's were a total desert for decent TV shows. Senators Wiecker and Ervin were as good as it got back then.

I especially liked the way Ervin sounded like Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit: "When ahhh ketch you bow-wah - I'm-onna bahhbecue yo assss in molasses!

I could listen to that North Carolina accent all day (and I did!!).

Back