Gel Batteries and Charging

xonix_digital

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased a Gel Battery for my project bike.
After I got the bike running I was so excited that when the bike stopped running I forgot to turn the key off (still fighting a fuel delivery issue). :(

Naturally, I pull out my handy Harbor Freight battery charger only to find that it says "Not for use with Gel Batteries" on the side of it.

That being said, what can I use? I have considered getting a jump start pack like the one below:

image_23676.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...0215a&utm_source=1011&cid=mEmail_s1011_c0215a

It doesn't say anything one way or the other.
Is this gonna blow up my battery? Is there anything else that i should be thinking of?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Had a conversation just today with my guy who wires the electronics in fishing boats for us. He cautioned that gel cell batteries should not be left on maintenance chargers longer than it takes to charge the battery. Apparently the continuous "trickle" is not conducive to long life in gel cells.
He recommended a charger specifically designed for gel cell technology. The four bank charger I'd need for my fishing boat would be nearly $500. Going to have to think about that.

roy

Last edited:
I've had a battery tender for several years, one of their benefits is that when they get to full load, they switch to a floating charge, which essentially means they stop charging until the battery drops charge, and then starts up again. This is true for both traditional and gel type Battery Tenders...so not always on a trickle charge.

There are mixed reviews out there on the quality of BT's but I've been happy with mine.

(Note: I don't personally have a gel type yet...but will be getting one sometime in the future).

Battery manufacturer is from some back alley in China: T-Motorsports

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEL-YTX14AH...Z700-FZ750-FZR1000-FJ1200-VT480-/310964391095

They don't sell or recommend chargers at all by the looks of it.

Did a little more research online and found this in multiple locations:

"Q: Are there issues with jumping AGM and gel cell batteries like there are with using only certain battery chargers for charging?

A: No. In the jump starting application, the jump starter acts as an extension of the vehicle's battery. In doing so, the jump starter is not charging the vehicle's battery. As a result, there is no risk of raising the vehicle battery's voltage above the specified limit.

In addition, most jump starter batteries are AGM batteries, making them very similar to the battery being jumped."

Looks like its cool to use a jump box but you need a special charger.

Thanks guys!

Back