Getting next to naked 'bars

Now a days people only use motorcycles for pleasure . I can remember when I had 3 little ones one car and had to ride all year long in PA to get to work go to my shop and that was the only transportation I had for ME. Wife had to have cars for kids. That bike had to have all good brakes good steering good tires GOOD EVERYTHING. Now my last two bikes I rode one was a HARLEY street bike and the other I called a BAR HOPPER only good for short runs because it beat the piss out of you. Hardtail high bars loud pipes ALL SHOW NO GO......HAHA My next bike is going to be a HONDA FURY and just bag it out and ride in comfort . Cool looking but GAS OIL and RIDE and take it to shows. Easy to build and not have a ton of money in it.

Attachments

• fury bagger.jpg
    fury bagger.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 150
I'm reminded of my great-uncle's stories of the '30-'40s. He raced TT for Indian, claims to be the inventor of the strap-on steel skid plate for boots. Entered the Army at WW2, became a motorcycle courier.

He described the Army's training regimen, including the qualifying feats of skill. The period courier bike, suicide shift and all, included front and rear hoops, what we nowadays would call 'crash bars', he referred to them as 'skid bars'.

One qualification test, you had to blaze down a dirt road or grass field at full speed, lay it down, skid on those 'skid bars' for at least 100 feet (clearancing under live fire!), then, while still skidding at speed, upright the bike and continue on full bore down the road.

What! That's crazy! Kinda makes me want to try it... (with someone else's bike,of course).

I'm reminded of my great-uncle's stories of the '30-'40s. He raced TT for Indian, claims to be the inventor of the strap-on steel skid plate for boots. Entered the Army at WW2, became a motorcycle courier.

He described the Army's training regimen, including the qualifying feats of skill. The period courier bike, suicide shift and all, included front and rear hoops, what we nowadays would call 'crash bars', he referred to them as 'skid bars'.

One qualification test, you had to blaze down a dirt road or grass field at full speed, lay it down, skid on those 'skid bars' for at least 100 feet (clearancing under live fire!), then, while still skidding at speed, upright the bike and continue on full bore down the road.

After the war, he returned to racing Indians until their demise.

In 1970, I let him ride my stock Honda CB350. He didn't like it. Twist grip spark advance is stuck, goofy shifting, no floorboards, and, most importantly, the handlebars were way too narrow. Should be at least 36" wide, low, swept back, and be able to touch your thighs at full turn.

Times sure change, huh?

TooMany....................I think your Great Uncle was also great at hyperbole. I've gotta call BS on the skidding, with bike on its side, at speed, while live fire goes over your head, and then uprights the bike!!

I'm sure he was well trained and was an excellent bike rider, but I can't buy that tall tale.

Makes for a great story, but I don't even think Chuck Norris could do that with several stunt doubles in Hollywood.

Once you get used to it, it feels normal. During panic stops I dont even bother downshifting, just brakes and steering with both hands on the bars. The drum brake works ok when set up properly. The bike is so light it's easy to one foot it at stoplights, but I usually just stick it in neutral and put both down. I ride calm and easy, if I wanted performance I sure wouldn't be riding a 34 year old bike.
1373118487.jpg

What! That's crazy! Kinda makes me want to try it... (with someone else's bike,of course).

Haha, well, your username certainly means you're up to it. I suppose you could use a time machine, go back there and sign-up, then use the Army's bikes.

My personal best lowside was about 400 feet, on a congested interstate highway. Didn't plan on it, rear tire blew out, and don't ever want to do that again...

TooMany....................I think your Great Uncle was also great at hyperbole. I've gotta call BS on the skidding, with bike on its side, at speed, while live fire goes over your head, and then uprights the bike!!

I'm sure he was well trained and was an excellent bike rider, but I can't buy that tall tale.

Makes for a great story, but I don't even think Chuck Norris could do that with several stunt doubles in Hollywood.

Yeah, it figures. Never quite sure how these stories will get received. Remember this discussion?

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=285797&postcount=18
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=285800&postcount=19
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=285805&postcount=20

I'm sure it's more in how I tell it than in how I was told. Different times back then, and getting combat vets of our 'greatest generation' to open up about that terrible time was less about "Hey, kid, let me tell you what a hero I am.", and more about gently coaxing them to relax, open up, and relive terrifying and horrifying experiences that they'd rather forget. Some felt like they were confessing to a criminal act, others (like an old Nazi ME-109 ace I interviewed) would slip back into that time and old hatrids and death-wishes would emerge, pulling you in to their world.

When I entered service, the Air Force had discontinued live fire "over your head while you're crawling around" training, not sure about the grunts and jarheads. We just had blanks going off everywhere.

My uncle tried to explain that low-side recovery trick to me, but you'd have to imagine an older/heavier Elvis 'The Pelvis' Presley doing a gyrating mix of the Twist and Jitterbug. I didn't get it, still being new to bikes at the time, but to him it was old-hat. It was something that only a few TT racers of the time could do, I've only seen it done once. There's an article about motorcycle racing of that time, with a picture of him straddling one of his Indians, in an old Popular Science or Popular Mechanix magazine of around (maybe) 1946, where they talk about that kind of stuff.

This may be of interest:

http://www.core77.com/posts/23548/Military-Motorcycles-Part-1-WWII-and-Harley-Davidson

The skills and abilities of modern riders, in Supercross, Trials, and Xtreme sports are what I find truly amazing, and unbelievable...

Last edited:
Yeah, it figures. Never quite sure how these stories will get received. Remember this discussion?

Yessir, I'm still waiting for a writeup on the long term effects/issues with elephants foot adjusters....

I'm sure it's more in how I tell it than in how I was told.

:popcorn:

Different times back then, and getting combat vets of our 'greatest generation' to open up about that terrible time was less about "Hey, kid, let me tell you what a hero I am.", and more about gently coaxing them to relax, open up, and relive terrifying and horrifying experiences that they'd rather forget. Some felt like they were confessing to a criminal act, others (like an old Nazi ME-109 ace I interviewed) would slip back into that time and old hatrids and death-wishes would emerge, pulling you in to their world.

Delicate topic I will agree, my friend....And a big Thank You to all who have served...
If you're ever in this neck of the woods, the first round is on me!:thumbsup::cheers:

......but you'd have to imagine an older/heavier Elvis 'The Pelvis' Presley doing a gyrating mix of the Twist and Jitterbug.

Please no...... Dammit! Too late! :doh:

Fred- "Getting next to naked 'bars", I'll have to travel for that one......

There aren't even any toppless bars 'round here:( :hump:

Yessir, I'm still waiting for a writeup on the long term effects/issues with elephants foot adjusters....

Hey, Nonclow! Well, hold onto yer panties, I'm working on a project that'll address an interesting item on those. Just tryin' to work out a wierd mathematical anomaly in the analysis.

Delicate topic I will agree, my friend....And a big Thank You to all who have served...
If you're ever in this neck of the woods, the first round is on me!:thumbsup::cheers:

Been up there once, long ago, for about a week, business trip. Beautiful, damp country. I recall the sun came out one day and the locals went nuts. Something about sacrificing a cow to appease the gods. (???).

Would love to visit again. Then,you're on!

Please no...... Dammit! Too late! :doh:

Ahhhhhhhahaha! Sorry 'bout that!

Panties in hand (she may want them back though) lol.
HA! We sacrifice cows, pigs and chickens when my vegetarian niece comes to visit!

It's not near as damp on the east side of the Cascades. I was born in Puyallup Wa. They have a saying, "If you can't see Mt Rainier it's raining. If you can see it, it's gonna rain." The central Oregon high desert here gets about 5-10 inches of rain per year.......We do get quite a bit of freezing fog in winter though......

Back