Getting There

MrYeats

MrYeats
Reaction score
Some of you know about the mystery 72 that is really a 74...Long story, but I now have some recent pix...before and after...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 198
  • GEDC0009.jpg
    GEDC0009.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 235
  • GEDC0011.jpg
    GEDC0011.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 253
  • GEDC0014.jpg
    GEDC0014.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 213
  • GEDC0015.jpg
    GEDC0015.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 225
You've certainly put your touch to it and it's looking good.
I'd go for some stock length forks and a Lucas style, low profile tail light.......a little spit and polish and call her done for now.

To each their own. Sorry i just see a good bike made into a sad case. How are you going to get the gearing back to XS650, wouldn't be able to go faster than 50mph with that rear sprocket.

Really is a Frankenstein now.

To each their own. Sorry i just see a good bike made into a sad case. How are you going to get the gearing back to XS650, wouldn't be able to go faster than 50mph with that rear sprocket.

Really is a Frankenstein now.

-opinions are like ass==les, everybody gets one... Put up some $$ on that 50mph statement?

Well using Pamcopetes sprocket chart and with your 16" wheel with a 37 tooth sprocket on the rear, your bike will be running 630 revs more at 60mph than an 18" wheel, (was on the bike), and 32 tooth rear sprocket, (34 tooth is standard but most gear them up to reduce vibration).

Hi MrYeats,
how many teeth on that rear sprocket?
FWIW, my XS650 sidecar rig is running 17/38.
Real nice in town but it don't like doing more than ~55mph on the highway.
BTW, check out "The Bride" the movie where Frankenstein's monster gets the girl.

37 teeth and I live in a city, It is not designed to go 100mph.. I like a quick machine, moreso than a high top end. Plus, I am 60 and don't need to go fast. If I don't like it, I can always change it...

There is a lot left to do and will probably morph as time goes on. Tomorrow will start the clearcoat process on the black and gold areas. Fuel lines need run, I just got the timing done and a good blue spark from the Thunderbolt coil. I had to mount it off the backbone because the72 tank was to narrow and hit on the original coils, and now it is set up with new points from Daiichi and new NGKs...It might run better with a drive chain too...I have the tank badges too that go on after the final paint. Guage mount is solid aluminum stock, Horn button on handlebar mount.

Attachments

• GEDC0016.jpg
    GEDC0016.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 202
That seat looks like a blood clot, ready to happen.

Hi m2w,
you mean that neck-boil rear light?
Perhaps the owner thinks it looks good.
Or perhaps it's a temporary solution to get the bike on the road.
What I'd do is french a set of custom tail & signal lights into the bumstop.

Fred has my number...This bike will change a lot as time goes by...I am using what I have to get the basics established and go from there...And for those who don't know me, I am 60 years young and have a lot of old school tastes...visit my website at www.mryeats.com

Last edited:
finding stock forks for 34mm is tough. I have tried and still looking, and the tail light is a temporary fix till I find my others here in my garage...Like I said, it is morphing....

Hi MrYeats,
morph the front end into a set of later model 35mm forks.
Installed 'trees, caliper, disk and all they'll drop right on and they're better forks anyway.
Put a want ad in the classified section?

Well the forks are done, brakes done, just to wire up the ignition, lights, and put on a chain and maybe a ride is in order

Attachments

• GEDC0012.jpg
    GEDC0012.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 173
  • GEDC0014.jpg
    GEDC0014.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 178
  • GEDC0013.jpg
    GEDC0013.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 189
  • GEDC0015.jpg
    GEDC0015.jpg