gggGary's latest XS project "madness"

I heard a good story this morning.

"Me and Jim and Bob and Charlie Arthur was coming down Pine Mountain last week and I felt this vibration and then Jim said he felt it and Bob and Charlie said they felt it too. I figgered it'd work itself out after we got down from there and we pulled up to a stop sign and three people in a Nissan Ultima pull up there beside us and one of 'em leaned over and said 'you ain't got nary a lug nut on that wheel yander'. So I got out and looked at it and shore enuf there was five studs stickin out and nary a lug nut. Then the car came back and said we found three of the lug nuts fer ya. So I pulled over into the Stop and Rob real careful like and the guy said you got anything to put 'em on with? 'Bout that time a Whayne Supply truck pulled in he said there's any tool you could want. So the guy pulled out that big drawer and said use whatever you need. That kind 'o stuff don't happen every day. It just don't happen. It means the Lord wants to know ye."

20180616_184826.jpg
Bon Gwinn with madness the 76 w fairing , his bike since new.

20180616_185900.jpg
Our evening concert. Head home in the am.

How many miles total?
Too much riding. A thousand of miles of riding to get there, and then when they get there they ride. And then ride back. Should do something else while they're there. Rent movies, go to petting zoo, faro tables, firewalking, strippers... Anything,

We didn't just ride, we stood around and talked about motorcycles! More rally details, pics videos at 650society facebook page, free to join...
We did do something OTHER than ride! Bob Gwinn and I took in several shows n concerts LOL I put on about 2000 miles in 5 days whoosh, 850 yesterday 6AM to 10PM about 2 1/2 hours of breaks, it stayed in mid to upper 90's high humidity and sun all day. The bike set up made long distance on an XS650 surprisingly comfortable even with no windshield. Mostly picked 2 lane through podunk towns and such. Not a drop of rain in 5 days. Woke up to downpours here this morning. Bike home in the garage, SWEET!
Think my 190 mains were on the rich side, fuel mileage was high 40's as long as I was on the needles did one tank running 70's up to 80MPH mileage dropped to mid 30's went on reserve at 86 miles! Was glad a gas station was close. For sure will use a standard tank If I road trip it again though yesterday stopping for fluids and some AC about each 100 miles was a good thing.
Maintenance for 2000 miles in 5 days? Add 2 quarts of oil, adjust rear brake light switch, done!

An amazing run on two counts, Gary. First off, not too many guys can prep an old P-twin to deliver total reliability on a long highway run. Second, where does a guy in his late fifties find the stamina to do 850 miles of secondary road in 16 hours? I haven't done a run like that since I was 32 and it half killed me then!

Back