gggGary's latest XS project "madness"

Gary..this is most impressive but i agree this kind of riding is not preferred. You didnt have to do any extra miles for me..I thought you were doing a sanctioned SS1000...But you did one anyway...Damn you da man!...I haven't any intention of mirroring this feat on any XS650....EVAR!!!

Gary, how did you get along with the heat and humidity? There’s been a bit of a heat wave back there no?
Thanks for the prompt!
Hence the narrow gotta go now ride decision. Heat, humidity was awful to a midwesterner through Saturday, Sunday forecast, here, perfect! My first route choice was ride one way to Colorado, JRP1 was out there with his motorhome and enclosed trailer headed to Wisconsin Monday with room for one more bike. But forecast was showers, storms all along that route, long ride while wet? Nope! Quick route search, change, International Falls and back, high of 70 to 80 DRY partly cloudy, all along route, That was actually accurate weather! I dodged a few storms late on the way home, but never saw a drop of rain, only some damp pavement.
Clothing; had on a light thermal base layer then thermal top, inner and outer riding jacket, nylon pants then ventilated riding pants. Liner socks (lighter) wool socks, riding boots . Lighter weight, leather gauntlet gloves, Other than opening and closing jacket vents, zippers, I never changed a thing the whole ride. I packed along a balaclava, waterproof liners for the riding pants, extra socks, and a tee shirt, didn't use them.

Last edited:
product plugs; the GIVI magnetic tank bag and Gears saddle bags both have performed great long enough now to get my two thumbs up. Somewhere up above I show the saddle bag "fender" bars I modded to fit madness. My beloved inflatable sheepskin seat pad also in pic.

20190722_112405.jpg

Well done Gary - quite the tale.

Don’t ya just hate it when the bike is tweaking your ear like that with the intermittent cut-off / burble / backfire....especially at night, in the rain, in the middle of frickin’ nowhere.....?

Last edited:
I have cortech magnetic tank bag..but i dont think i am putting anything on that beautiful paint job...instead i will employ my rear seat bag...will bungy fine to the rear grab rails...

I have cortech magnetic tank bag..but i dont think i am putting anything on that beautiful paint job...instead i will employ my rear seat bag...will bungy fine to the rear grab rails...

Yup, I have always liked tank bags, but I have become a real fan of tail bags recently since I am virtually always solo these days.

I think it’s kinda funny that by the time you got home, your ass was so numb you didn’t even realize that your sheepskin pad went AWOL on you before you made it home!
Well....funny to me ....sitting in my big recliner....in the air conditioning.....just reading about guys actually doing things! :D

bbbbut a tank bag right in front of you for the most often used stuff..............
+ I like to add patina to the bikes I ride. :love:
There was one other time out on the freeway quite late where I was just on one tiny corner of of the pad. You should of seen me panicked, groping around my own ass feeling for it while riding in Sunday night freeway traffic..

I dated a woman recently (and briefly) who said to me, "you're nothing unless you have a facebook page."
Irritated, I responded with, "well, I think you're nothing until you have owned an old tractor."

.....but I'm not there, yet. Got my eyes on an old Farmall down the street.

Honest griz this rig don't shake like a Johnny popper, must be an IH thang. ;)
GLJ sharp eye you caught that, LOL with just the XS shock seat was too soft so I welded the the stock seat spring and arm back on today now with both it's a little stiff, I went and got my 1000 mile seat pad, that helped. :smoke::pimp::rock:
Now I got fence lines to weed whip and a sickle bar lift mechanism to weld, (done) but I think I'm done for today.
Oh and a 60' cherry tree broke off in a storm and is laying on the back fence. :(

Last edited:
Back