Going kick only: small LiFePO4 vs. pma+ battery eliminator...

Spider John

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently running a big, ugly-ass AGM for my e-leg. Losing both would save some weight while adding some cool. Bike starts right up every time, and it kicks to life easier than just about any bike I've owned, so I'm probably going to take the plunge soon.

Weighing the pros and cons of each. I like the idea of having lighting if it comes uncrunk in the dark. Is charging at idle really a big deal? How many amp-hours reserve would make that a non-issue? Doesn't seem like it would take much.

What am I missing? Any thoughts are welcome.

Cost is about the same, maybe cheaper for the battery depending on make and model.

If you go with a Powerdynamo it will allow you to be versatile. No battery or capacitor or with either. Etc. This way if things change.

Posted via Mobile

I like the PMA and a small battery. The SPRAX works but if you break down in the dark you have no lights and I have had one go bad and the guy had to push. So maybe I am OLD and I used a Black Max on my Triumph for years with NO PROBLEM . Me if its kick only I would just buy a small battery and hide it. I have put them in these with the switches.

Attachments

• 2014-08-22 07.56.17.jpg
    2014-08-22 07.56.17.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 169
  • 2014-08-22 07.56.31.jpg
    2014-08-22 07.56.31.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 171

I thought I'd read that one, but somehow missed your post where you did all the math, which is exactly what I'd hoped to find!

I'm a huge fan of LiFePO4 batteries after putting a Shorai in my Vulcan several years ago. Weighed nothing, came in the mail fully charged, and could sit for months at a time with no problems. 3x the cost of a cheap lead acid battery but at least 3x the lifespan. Should have taken it out when I sold the bike.

Still playing around with my under seat configuration, probably going with the biggest lithium battery I can put in the space, thinking that the more reserve the better.

If you go with a Powerdynamo it will allow you to be versatile. No battery or capacitor or with either. Etc. This way if things change.

Posted via Mobile

As I have posted before, I am very happy with the Powerdynamo on my RD 350, easy starting, bright headlight, no maintenance. On the other hand, on a kick-only XS, I believe some members have posted starting issues due to the rpm required for getting a strong spark from what is a CDI magneto ignition. On a big bore/high comp engine this may become a problem. In any case, a LiFePO4 battery is very light. The one I use for my Ducati ST2 weighs 900g (2 lbs), and has no problems whatsover starting a 944 cc twin with a 10.2:1 compression ratio.
Perhaps a lightweight battery and keeping the electric starter is the better option? Removing all kick starter components will also save some weight, and at least you will avoid any potential conflict with rearset footpegs and brake pedal.

I'm probably going with this...
http://www.batterytender.com/Batteries/240-CCA-Lithium-Engine-Start-Battery.html
I can get it from Amazon for less than a hundred bucks with free shipping. Gonna take the measurements and build a cardboard mock up when I start shuffling things around under the seat. Need to go scrounging for a smaller solenoid to replace the bulky lawnmower version.

Yes, the controls... Just remembered that I can't get the kicker back on until I figure out a brake pedal that won't interfere, which I probably can't do until I put a different exhaust together, which could be a while...

Thanks everyone for the input. A 240 cca LiFePO4 still seems resonably small, especially since it can be mounted at any angle and is very light. I have several options for side covers that hide everything and still keep things more open and clean looking and not crowd the monoshock.

I've converted my stator to work with an integrated regulator/rectifier, which is currently mounted in front of my cheesy battery box, but it would be nice to find a more out of the way location when I reconfigure so I'm open to suggestions. The one on my SR is underneath, which I'm not crazy about. Great for airflow I guess, but pretty exposed.

Back