Gonna get down and dirty with my bike!

Hi Bstryker,
the bike's electrics are configured so that the tail light turns on with the key but the headlight only turns itself on when when the alternator starts charging.
Note that if the engine stops (say it stalled in traffic) there's a latching relay that keeps the headlight on until the key is turned off.
The occasional lights not turning on and a crackling noise is as you say, a poor contact. There's a contact cleaner spraycan to fix that.
One cause of the signals coming on but not flashing is a lack of load. The stock flasher unit needs two 27Watt flasher bulbs to work.
The more usual 22Watt flasher bulbs that the PO might have used don't draw enough power to work the stock flasher.
Or the flasher may be faulty. Here's a $10 test. Buy an electronic flasher from Pep Boys or whoever because an electronic flasher will work with just about any wattage bulbs.
It has to be a 2-prong flasher because automotive 3-prongers are wired up wrong for bikes.
The 2-prong flasher plugs into the bike's 3-slot flasher receptacle two ways.
One way it'll work, t'other way it won't.
You'll lose the bike's flasher self cancelling function but if the stock flasher was causing the
problem you'll at least have working signals.
Thanks Fredintoon! I'll look into it! I got most of the bike working but if I can just get the lights to turn on without having to worry about the flasher I'm fine with that for the moment. I can always fix that in the future.

Just because it's only got 8K miles on it, that doesn't mean all of the seals and gaskets are still good. It's 37 years old after all. When I got my '78, I bought a complete engine gasket set and a seal kit. I used most everything in them. I've had the bike about a dozen years now so I've even had to replace some of the replacements, lol.
Haha, thanks for the heads up 5twins! I looked at how bad the leaking is and it's not nearly bad enough to strip the engine and put the gaskets in like some of the other guys have said above. Once the leaking gets worse then I will get my hands dirty and take it all out. But for the time being, I'm gonna just retorque the head bolts. Once I start having to put in a qt of oil per ride I take I think it'll be time, but for now..... :bike::bike::bike:

Thanks Fredintoon! I'll look into it! I got most of the bike working but if I can just get the lights to turn on without having to worry about the flasher I'm fine with that for the moment. I can always fix that in the future.

Hi Bstryker,
the stock flasher unit needs a (27W+27W+3W = 57W that's 2 signal bulbs and the indicator bulb) load before it'll flash
and it's the ONLY unit that's compatible with the bike's automatic signal cancelling module.
The last time I checked the price it was nearly Cdn$90 and my inner cheapskate wouldn't let me buy a new one.
Besides not having to remember to turn a replacement off, the stocker has a safety feature that replacement units don't.
If the stocker comes on but you don't see the front signal flash, that side's rear flasher ain't working.

On the flashers; there is also a kind of common problem with a solder connection "blob" letting go in the LH handlebar switch it's a pretty easy fix with a soldering gun. It'll be obvious if you open the switch.

Anytime a motorcycle engine is "overfilled" with oil carefully sniff the dip stick, many "overfills" are a gas leak in a carb. PS oil lever is checked on level ground on the centerstand with the cap just touching the case not threaded in.

I'll let you all know when I start working on the flashers again. I'm having trouble with my clutch and posted in a different thread. Pictures when my baby is in working order!

Here you all are! Finally got her working. One of the PO's did custom military color paint on the tank and the logo has fallen off on the left side but the rest is great! Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_20171108_134631626.jpg
    IMG_20171108_134631626.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20171108_134642507.jpg
    IMG_20171108_134642507.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20171108_134656176.jpg
    IMG_20171108_134656176.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20171108_134709983.jpg
    IMG_20171108_134709983.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 156
Hi Bstryker,
a military over-paint on a civilian vehicle ain't supposed to look perfect so "isn't well done" actually IS perfect.

Yep. When we painted our CJ5 olive drab we didn't worry too much about perfect paint. Especially after looking at military vehicles on base. Supposed to be a little rough. In fact, I toyed with the doing the OD green paint on my café bike because I had leftover paint.

Back