Good buy at $600?

Bkschneider

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to this and looking to venture into this project. I need some guidance on where to start. Is this bike a good buy at $600. It doesn't run and no title.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 341
how hard is it to get a title in your state? does the engine turn? it looks to be a tc bro hardtail. how well was it put on? probably not too far off if youre going to use all the parts. if not then what are you going to use? figure 2-3 hundred for the frame, if the forks are good to go about one hundred the seat may be worth about that too. same with the rims. take 450 or 500 cash to the guy.

what are your skill sets? will this be your first bike? if it is, forget it. start with a runner, and build from there. Seems a good price if, and only if the engine isn't locked up, and some one knew what to do with it.

Welcome to the club!

TITLE FIRST!!!

Paperwork can be a b*tch. Get the vin # and check with state patrol before paying anything. It could be a $600 loss:(

That being said.... removing all that rust... er, "patina" looks like fun:)D)! Good luck:thumbsup:

Engine doesn't turn. I'm researching though the DMV on what I'm going to need to do to get a title for this thing. I have a friend who is going to help me with the build and he is very knowledgeable . As for me I have no skill sets lol. It's all a learning experience for me...thanks for the fast responses...it is greatly appreciated.

If the title is easy to get (like it is here in GA) i'd say yes if the weld's on the add on are nice.. Dont worry about the skillsets I was the same way now I've learned so much and my bike is coming out unreal, all done by myself. You don't need skillsets to scrub and clean!
get your research on!

If the title is easy to get (like it is here in GA) i'd say yes if the weld's on the add on are nice.. Dont worry about the skillsets I was the same way now I've learned so much and my bike is coming out unreal, all done by myself. You don't need skillsets to scrub and clean!
get your research on!
Right on brother! Will do! I'm pretty excited about it...Spades bike got me inspired to build it

In California use a bill of sale to dmv, make an appointment with CHP for inspection. If all pass back to dmv and they issue title. That is what I did. Worked fine.

Tell the seller if he gets a title you will buy it. no title no sale. Let him deal with the hassle.
To me no title is just a parts bike.
Leo

Tell the seller if he gets a title you will buy it. no title no sale. Let him deal with the hassle.
To me no title is just a parts bike.
Leo

X2 . Let the seller deal with the hassle. Lots of dead brat/chopped up projects out there. Way more than I'd ev er spend.

California isn't hard to get a pink slip. Just get a bill of sale from seller. Maybe brake and light check and statement of facts from owner and you re in. I'm amazed how difficult a time you guys in the east have with this. As long as its not reported stolen you can always get papers. I've resurrected many derelicts without issue. Call local pd with the engine number, tell them it's on craigslist and have them run it and if its clean you're good

Posted via Mobile

California isn't hard to get a pink slip. Just get a bill of sale from seller. Maybe brake and light check and statement of facts from owner and you re in. I'm amazed how difficult a time you guys in the east have with this. As long as its not reported stolen you can always get papers. I've resurrected many derelicts without issue. Call local pd with the engine number, tell them it's on craigslist and have them run it and if its clean you're good

Posted via Mobile

in oregon i wont buy without a title, unless the owner lost the title and will head to the dmv with me. You can wait up to three months for a lost title here and it can be a huge headache. Although they will give you a plate and tags on the spot.

Hello All,
I'm new to this and looking to venture into this project. I need some guidance on where to start. Is this bike a good buy at $600. It doesn't run and no title.

Hi Bk,
the $600 ante (although I'd say $300 was a fair price for that POS) will soon seem like a drop in the bucket compared to what it will cost to put that bike back on the road.
Unless you relish a 60 year trip back in time the frame is f**ked for starters and either the front end came off a 500 single or someone's put the front wheel in backwards.
And that's if you can get a clear title.
Good luck with it.

that looks to be a 650 front end, either way it looks to fit and should work. how is the frame fucked up from looking at that photo? stuck engine 100, frame 2-300 sportster tank 50ish wheels 100 that seat is probably worth 100 or so too. forks are worth money, and that exhaust looks familiar assuming everything is ok with it its worth more than 300. try to get it for 300 though, nothing wrong with that. people on the form have put back together worse. some people see potential were others do not. maybe he feels he can rebuild an engine, but hard tailing not so much.

Bkschneider,

Your title should be "Good bye at $600" You will probably spend at least another $1,000 on this POS, so you might as well get a runner to start with, that has a title.

Last edited:
that looks to be a 650 front end, either way it looks to fit and should work. how is the frame fucked up from looking at that photo? stuck engine 100, frame 2-300 sportster tank 50ish wheels 100 that seat is probably worth 100 or so too. forks are worth money, and that exhaust looks familiar assuming everything is ok with it its worth more than 300. try to get it for 300 though, nothing wrong with that. people on the form have put back together worse. some people see potential were others do not. maybe he feels he can rebuild an engine, but hard tailing not so much.

Hi neanderthal,
either that's an XS650 front end that's shed it's rightside front disk and grown a leftside disk instead OR it's a Yamaha 500 single front end that comes that way.
As you say, all good Yamaha parts, nothing wrong with a mix'n'match.
The frame is fucked up because some masochistic pervert has hardtailed it.
And yes, others have built nice bikes from worse starting points but the OP
sez he's a newbie.

look where the mc is. someone put the wheel on backwards. and if he wants a hard tail then its not fucked up..its the the reverse of that. some people work by diving in with little or no knowledge.

look where the mc is. someone put the wheel on backwards. and if he wants a hard tail then its not fucked up..its the the reverse of that. some people work by diving in with little or no knowledge.

Hi neanderthal,
the XS series wheels are not quite reversible as the speedo drive location has to be on the left side of the bike.
You can certainly swap the brake disk to the other side and fit the leftside caliper from a 500 single or from an XS750/850/1100 Standard.
That photo is too dark for my old eyes to see what's exactly going on there but it does add another reason for the OP to steer clear of that particular bargain.
As to knowledge, I'm a mere amateur biker.
What I do have is 58 years of 2-wheel riding experience.
My first 5 years riding was on pre-WW2 rigid frame bikes and I spent them in envy of those who could afford modern bikes that had tele forks and rear suspension.
Good suspension is the greatest advance in bike technology since the front brake.
The most charitable thing I can say about those who hardtail a suspended bike is that they value style above comfort, no matter how beautiful their welds & paint look.

Hi neanderthal,
the XS series wheels are not quite reversible as the speedo drive location has to be on the left side of the bike.
You can certainly swap the brake disk to the other side and fit the leftside caliper from a 500 single or from an XS750/850/1100 Standard.
That photo is too dark for my old eyes to see what's exactly going on there but it does add another reason for the OP to steer clear of that particular bargain.
As to knowledge, I'm a mere amateur biker.
What I do have is 58 years of 2-wheel riding experience.
My first 5 years riding was on pre-WW2 rigid frame bikes and I spent them in envy of those who could afford modern bikes that had tele forks and rear suspension.
Good suspension is the greatest advance in bike technology since the front brake.
The most charitable thing I can say about those who hardtail a suspended bike is that they value style above comfort, no matter how beautiful their welds & paint look.

im not saying it rode that way, it just got put together sloppy, no reason to steer clear. could have been bought as a pile, put together quickly as a roller and that shipped out to the next person. the engine is stuck. it has sat for a while im sure. Yes suspension is better in many ways, but the op of this thread isnt looking for that, he obviously wants a hard tail. there are a lot of different people out there, therefor a lot of different bikes out there. of course they dont hard tail for comfort, its for style sure. nothing wrong with that. there has been worse done to show off style. bullets dont kill people, people kill people right :laugh:

Last edited:
Back