Good clutch cables

desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After reading a few threads Ive noticed people do not seem to like Mikes clutch cables, I have yet to try them since my bike is still not done yet but has anyone else used other brands that are better?
Thanks

I've used motion pro on all my bikes.
Send them your existing cables to measure the throw and they can give you a custom length

copy/pasted from tech thread
Motion Pro cable on the left, Mikesxs on the right ... take a good look, Mikesxs cables are known to break (he has some good stuff, but a lot of cheap shit too)..Motion Pro cable is definitely stronger

cablescomparedzv7.jpg

You'll notice the diameter of the wire, the actual cable, is less on the MikesXS cable. They've been reported to break in as little as 200 miles. I guess I got lucky. Mine went about 2 or 3K before it snapped. I contacted Mike's about it. They replied "cables are a wear item". Duh, I know that, I just expected it to "wear" a bit longer is all. I've had cables on other bikes for 10s of thousands of miles. The clutch cables from Mike's are absolute shit. DO NOT buy one. Get a Motion Pro, an O.E.M. replacement, or the Easy-Pull from 650Central.

+3 motion pro, the way to go. I haven't had one on an XS but was impressed with their quality and the exact fit when used on a CB1100 with a complicated end arrangement.

The problem with off-the-shelf cables is that while Yamaha used 3 different lengths on the pushrod actuator arm, cables are available with only one free length. Often you're at the end of adjustment from the git-go, and there's only so much you can take up at the worm gear before you have the pushrod riding on the pressure plate and spinning with the clutch released, eating up the bushing and oil seal. I make my own cables with bits from Flanders.

Back