Good Heart, Bad Intentions: another build thread

Spent a morning cleaning up the welds:

2013-02-23 15.52.05.jpg

It's quite a ways from "perfect", but I'm creeping up on an acceptable surface finish!

I'm not really going for "perfect" :laugh: Maybe more something like "post-perfect". My favorite aluminium surface-finish is what I'd call "old polish"; the sort of smooth yet not super-shiny luster you'd get on some part that was polished perfectly some years ago, then left on a shelf in a damp unheated garage for a few decades, maybe knocked around a bit, then finally burnished to remove the worst oxidation with a little steel wool...

What I'd ultimately like from this hub is to have a wheel that looks like a stock '70's part, with period-correct style and finish, with performance mods that don't immediately jump out as "modern". Of course, I'd never expect an educated eye to be fooled into thinking that Yamaha made a hub like this in the '70's, but it's still fun to play with people's perceptions of "vintage". :)

Will widening that hub cause a need for spokes with a different angle/length at the hub ends so that they clear the outer hub edge and also to line up with the wheel centerline?

Will widening that hub cause a need for spokes with a different angle/length at the hub ends so that they clear the outer hub edge and also to line up with the wheel centerline?

I've always assumed with this project that the spokes would be a custom job. Besides the points you're raising, there's also the issue that this hub, in stock form, was never laced to an 18" hoop; there's no baseline spoke to work with.

Another happy Saturday playing in the shop...

2013-03-02_14-50-03_786.jpg

All day long making shavings out of blocks of billet 6061T6. It never fails to amaze me how the time flies when you're watching the chips fly... And after a whole day, one piece 1/2 done, one piece of billet yet to go "under the knife".

2013-03-02_17-10-50_891.jpg

Bonus points galore to the first correct guess as to what I'm making here... ;)

Front wheel to rear conversion kit from the looks.

Another happy Saturday playing in the shop...

2013-03-02_14-50-03_786.jpg

All day long making shavings out of blocks of billet 6061T6. It never fails to amaze me how the time flies when you're watching the chips fly... And after a whole day, one piece 1/2 done, one piece of billet yet to go "under the knife".

2013-03-02_17-10-50_891.jpg

Bonus points galore to the first correct guess as to what I'm making here... ;)

Another day in the shop, left to my own devices... First item was to bore out one side of the hub to accept a 52mm bearing:

2013-03-03 09.33.54.jpg

The 19" conversion kit I have (Omar's) uses three 42x20x14mm bearings; one on the brake side, and two on the drive side. The stock rear hub uses a single 52x20x15mm bearing on the drive side. Widening the hub has spread my bearing base 5/8", so I'm going with a single bearing on the drive side, and in the stock size.

The cush drive has two basic elements: a drive flange that bolts to the hub and carries the cush elements, and a sprocket carrier that rides on the axle with a dedicated bearing, and engages the cush elements.

With the 52x20x15mm bearing in the hub, the drive flange is fit. In this shot, I've already drilled and counterbored for the M8 truss-head bolts that will hold the flange to the hub. The larger holes are for the six 1" polyurethane cush elements.

2013-03-03 16.21.03.jpg

With the thirteen precision bores done (6 bolts, 6 cush elements, and 1 hubcentric bore), I can get onto the creative bit :)

2013-03-03 17.26.34.jpg

For fun, style, and some weight reduction. There's still enough meat left for plenty of strength, but I think any more drilling and this piece will get impossible to clean! One more shot, bolted onto the hub:

2013-03-03 17.29.24.jpg

Today I also took the other remaining 6"x6"x1" billet down to a faced 5" disc. That will will become the sprocket carrier, and will remain for another post!

Keen to see how the polyurethane bushings are to be secured into the carrier, & how you intend to stop them moving too far axially.

Keen to see how the polyurethane bushings are to be secured into the carrier, & how you intend to stop them moving too far axially.

The polyurethane rod was ordered as a nominal 1.00"OD, but measured out at 1.032". The bores in the drive flange are 25mm (~0.984"), so the elements are a press fit.

If you look closely at the pictures, you can see that the inboard end of the bores is partially blocked by the hub body itself. Outboard, the cush elements will be captured by the sprocket carrier, which will ride ~1mm away.

Back