Good question

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Who can tell me how and where the oil seal #26 actually attaches in the reduction gear case? I can't see it. Almost looks like a misprint in the manual.

It's in parts diagrams as well. Just short of taking the cover off my bike and looking I want to say it's the seal between the case and starter motor. Just shown in a weird spot. If you look up the part number it's #24 on the crankcase picture.

The starter seal actually seals in two places, on the outer edge of the seal against the case, a little Yamabond on the outer edge of the seal and it fits in flush with the (edit: inside edge ) of the case. Then the inner lip of the seal , seals against the collar on the starter housing. That is just a double lip seal.
20324A07-08DB-453B-BBCE-C6F32688AD88.jpeg
13A72203-6238-41A5-BF8E-2FD679C8F81E.jpeg
76C72D5C-C79D-4671-9A59-876F0D445595.jpeg

Last edited:
Ya, gotcha - but that isn't what is being displayed on the parts manual. I have both the starter spline seal and the starter casing seal set in place. The digram shows by its positioning another seal that appears to sit on the shaft of the reduction gears against the face of the cover when there really is no place for it to sit and no purpose for it to be there. I know it sounds crazy but if you check the diagrams - thats what i see.

#24 and #26 are the same seal, just shown on two different diagrams with a different reference number.

Back