gordonscott engineering

Cheap kibitzing here; but what if you angled the tubes on the fork brace slightly so they form somewhat of a Vee? Seems like it might look a bit spiffier?

Cheap kibitzing here; but what if you angled the tubes on the fork brace slightly so they form somewhat of a Vee? Seems like it might look a bit spiffier?
Hi Gary, There are already ones out there that look like that + with the shorter arches mine are stronger :D To do it the other way like a "V" you would need to make the arches longer and you would lose lateral strength. With it short and low on the tire you can really feel the difference.

I really REALLY like those drags, but I'm worried about the bottom one being so close to the ground on my chopper.

Have you ever made a set where one goes to the left and one to the right? basically like extended stock headpipes?

what I'd love is like an extended set of stock pipes (only nicer looking) that each end just behind the engine. That could be run with torque cones and baffles.

thx

I really REALLY like those drags, but I'm worried about the bottom one being so close to the ground on my chopper.

Have you ever made a set where one goes to the left and one to the right? basically like extended stock headpipes?

what I'd love is like an extended set of stock pipes (only nicer looking) that each end just behind the engine. That could be run with torque cones and baffles.

thx
Hi Emzdogz, Look at first page on this thread, you'll see exactly what you're looking for. No torque cones needed, correct diameter tube. Here they are with heat sheilds...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

yeah! that's what I'd like. Very nice with the shields. If I can't make my old headpipes work (which I must at least try to do for $$ reasons) then I will get one of those with the shields form you. They look great!
thanks

A customer sent me some drawings of a set of pipes he wanted made ( Hi Boris :) ) Some time spent trying to figure out degree of bends and had to use two different radius dye sets to use to achieve his vision but finaly got what he was looking for. Here they are tacked together before tig welding. Finished pipes before cleaning in bottom picture....

Hey, those are my pipes! They were my first ever effort at making pipes. Here is how they sound...

Hey, those are my pipes! They were my first ever effort at making pipes. Here is how they sound...

Nice sounding bike :thumbsup: Is that picture your bike? If so I just changed how they exit by running them down the frame rails. Customer sent me picture like you see it drawn over in paint shop and I just built them like he wanted. Very cool looking from the front.

Nice sounding bike :thumbsup: Is that picture your bike? If so I just changed how they exit by running them down the frame rails. Customer sent me picture like you see it drawn over in paint shop and I just built them like he wanted. Very cool looking from the front.

Yeah, thats my scoot... I have a blast on it. You make some killer pipes for XS's man, I'll keep you in mind for my customers builds.

Hugh

Here is a full size image of my pipes, just don't rip em off to bad, I like having the only set :)

XS650_Front.jpg

Here is a full size image of my pipes, just don't rip em off to bad, I like having the only set :)

XS650_Front.jpg
Thats the problem with showing off cool shit, next thing you know everyone has one :laugh: I don’t mind when people use my ideas for there own builds, imitation is the highest form of flattery. It’s when I see my designs for sale made by others for profit that it sometimes gets to me. And I don’t mean similar to yours like the pipes I made for Boris, I mean EXACT copies of my stuff! O well it happened to McDonalds with Burger King I guess it can happen to us too :shrug:

Just wanted to say, Scott made me a SWEET pair of drag pipes, just like I wanted them.
I will post pics at some point, however my (as yet) unpainted frame is too ugly to do justice to these lovely pipes.

They are very precisely done, and Scott was particularly great to work with. I sent him some pics and a measurement or 2 and from that he made them for me so they sit just right. I had a somewhat problematic area, in that the pipe needed to clear my rear brake pedal pivot - and he made sure it did.

Really nice beefy materials. In the case of my pipes, all done with "bends", rather than welding pieces together. Very great job.

I doubt I will ever build another bike, but if I do I'll have Scott do the pipes if he is available - I would not hesitate to recommend his work.

He was also very helpful to me with regard to figuring out about the rear hanger mounting point.

So, a large "thumb's up" to Scott!

I look forward to getting these ceramic coated in the near future.

These pipes are BY FAR the nicest thing on my chop.

I had tried making some myself out of stock headers and adding some pieces, but ended up blowing holes in the metal with the welder - to the point where they were FUBAR. But even if I could have made them work, they'd not have looked half as sweet as these do.

So again, he's earned the highest rating possible from me.

(and I'm a picky old b_tch, so that's not a "gimme")
;)

Hey Gordon,

Awesome work. Well I got the bug again so starting to work on my bike again. I definitely want to buy some of your curved drag pipes and I will need to buy your front fork braces. So I hope you will have them in when I need some :). I have to finish this permanent magnet switch over first.

For anyone interested I'll soon be making a batch of my fork braces again. These are made for the chopper guys that run without the front fender. They are very heavy duty, construction is Tig welded DOM tubing and they make a real difference in handling that you can feel. I build them to sit low on the tire so they don't look goofy up in the air somewhere :laugh: Every set is made in a jig and test fit on a bike before they leave my shop. I only make these for the 35mm front ends for now. They ship raw steel for now, working on a deal with powder coating co. for batch pricing...

Back