got a reg/rec...think i may have taken one in the stinker

vernk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got a killer deal. Was told it was for xs650...but now that i'm actually getting down to wiring....doesn't match up?

the combined reg/rec has no identifiers on it.

has wires:
white
white
white
red
brown
green
green

how do i match this up to my 79 special.

the manual says alternator has:
white
white
white
green
black
sky blue
yello

rectifier has:
white
white
white
black
red

regulator has:
green
black
brown

help please? im sure this is just one of many questions to come along in my wiring adventure

IMAG1274.jpg
IMAG1275.jpg

it may be a rec/reg to covert to solid state like the 89 and up. also with it in that tube
it will over heat the unit. it needs to out in the air to cool it

Ok, I can't say what that reg/rec is for but the wires coming out of your stator, The three whites carry 3 phase AC to the rectifier. The rec converts the AC to DC.
The green is power from the regulator to the rotor.
The black is ground for the rotor. The rotor grounds to the stator and the black wire is a harness ground.
The Sky Blue is the ground for the neutral light. Power goes to the neutral light, From the neutral light power flows out the blue wire to the neutral switch on the top of the transmission. When the tranny is in neutral the switch grounds the blue wire.
The yellow is a power wire to the safety relay. As the engine starts the alternator starts making power. Some of this power is sent on the yellow wire to the safety relay. As this power increases to about 4.5 volts the safety relay trips. This cuts power to the starter relay and sends power to the headlight dimmer switch.
On the reg/rec you have I think the two green indicate it is from a Honda. Just a guess on that.
There are several inexpensive options for a reg and rec. A three phase rectifier from ebay, around $5, a car regulator for around $20-40, a bit of wire and your good to go.
A search will find the items you need and how to install them.
Leo

so.....does that mean i cannot use this? can the extra green be capped off? i guess that makes sense, honda, since they are a twin

i got in touch with the guy i bought them from. he said they were off ebay but advertised as xs650. he did say he has wired multiple of these reg/recs to xs650's....i asked how specifically so i can either replicate, or catch in a lie. still awaiting a response to that one.

anyone else in the mean time?

I have used other REG/REC on XS650 from other bikes they all do the basic same thing.
You got the three whites
You got the Brown (which is charging)
Red hot wire
Now the two greens one of them or both are grounds ..( Unit not self Grounding)
It looks like a Suzuki or maybe Honda
I have seen these on EBAY and they are listed universal with Honda Yamaha
I would search a couple bikes online or go to ebay and contact the original list and see if they have directions. I will look at the ones I have and see if one matches up
Rich

Doing some quick research its not a Honda or Suzuki they don't use white wires . So the good news is its a YAM but the two green wires don't match up.
Here are a couple I found that are close. Maybe you can from your plug match up the colors.

Attachments

• rec.jpg
    rec.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 54
  • reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 39
It may or may not work, A lot of bikes use PMA's from the factory. The PMA reg/rec is set up different.
You need to know just which bike it came off of and check wiring diagrams to see if the alternator uses a field coil, some use brushes, some don't, or a PMA.
An alternator doesn't care how many cylinders the engine has. It only cares about how fast the engine can turn it.
Leo

ok so i found the ebay ad and does say for xs650
here

i sent an email to them, but no high hopes. i did see a model number that a google doesnt turn up much JZ-RR32

i wired up the whites and the one green to the alt green. i hooked up the brown reg/rec to the black alt. that one and the green both seems to be grounded to chassis testing after wired. both greens are connected internally.

am i correct with the brown to black?

this video say black from reg rec goes directly to neg battery

shall i brown direct to battery?

sorry for my ignorance this is what is keeping me from progress.

Do you have the stock wire harness or the plug for the other end?
Why I am asking is there looks like to me two colors are wrong but it doesn't mean that its not the same or that it won't work. If you don't have one I may. I will look today and see if the colors change but plug is the same. WHITE wires no problem RED wire no problem BROWN goes to key on side with other brown
ITS JUST THOSE GREENS
Let me look and you can email me your number if you need to talk.

Back