Got my first deer...ouch.

jfinnan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah..so that happened. Last night, I finished up syncing and adjusting the fuel mixture on my '80 XS. It has been sitting for almost two years with a rotor issue that I resolved a couple of days ago. So I was excited to take it out and test out the final result of the tuning. All went well, until that doe jumped out into the road and we collided. It all happened so fast. I hit the deer in the head with the headlight bucket, and it's momentum pushed me over on the right side. I'm still not sure if I ever got to brake at all. It appears that it spun around my left side, and dented my tank. Still a mystery. The bike landed on it's right side and continued to slide down the road for about 15 feet or so. We departed ways as soon as it went down. I don't remember much, except sliding to a stop on the shoulder. After a minute or two, I took stock of my body, and I appeared to be ok. I was in full riding gear, which obviously saved me from a lot of pain and/or even something more serious. I do recall hitting my head pretty hard on the pavement when I went down. The helmet did it's job. This picture was taken after another fellow stopped to see if I was ok. He helped me stand the bike upright and move it over to the shoulder.

Surprisingly, the bike fared fairly well. I did ride it home, though there are issues. I cannot shift, though that may be an issue with the clutch handle and cable (only neutral and second gear). It now has three broken turn stalks, the headlight shattered and was all over the road, the headlight bucket is dented and road rashed, and there may be more. I need to really look it over today. It's not idling well anymore.

Me..well..I'm in the normal pain from being body slammed into the pavement. No broken bones, but I'm bruised in quite a few place. Like I said, I was in full riding gear. My jacket has a torn sleeve, but the brunt of that was taken by the elbow armor. My riding jeans tore at the right knee, but the leather insert there did not wear through. My riding boots are scuffed, but also not worn through. All in all, I survived well. The deer, not so well.

IMG_3423.jpg IMG_3420.jpg IMG_3422.jpg

I was thinking about a new deerskin motorcycle seat cover.
IMG_3414.jpg

A bad day for the deer, but a good day for you, when all is considered. The best part is that you were not seriously hurt, as it could have been much worse!

I know what you mean, when you say it all happens so fast. A few years ago, I had a glancing blow from a deer as it crossed in front of me. I hit the deer's rear leg as it flew by the front of the bike. Those creatures move so fast they are just a blurr. I still get a little nervous when there is a heavy growth of trees right up to the edge of the road. They hide in the trees :devil: just waiting to T-bone unsuspecting bikers and cars. I now slow right down as I drive past heavily treed areas.

Hope your ok jfinnan, suicidal deer made a mess, that's for sure. Your riding gear did the job, hope your injuries heal soon. The bike can be repaired, us humans take a while longer......

Ain't never fun ... only time I t-boned a deer I was on my Royal Star. Broke the fairing up a bit but that was about it.

Might want to invest in one of these? They really do work.

http://www.xp3hornet.com/

It's a true ultra sonic emitter that bounces sound waves off the pavement in front of you for a good spread. Not like those silly plastic whistles that might work until the first bug flies in an plugs it up. Those are worse than useless. This Hornet thing is the same thing used by pro truck drivers. I've seen a few deer since installing it, but that's usually coming around a corner and they take off right quick. Lots easier to spot if they're moving in any case.

If it is any consolation RG, I had to kill a broken legged doe today.
courage and compassion WER....I cannot even dispatch an injured bird or mouse that the cats bring in . I just stand there like a lemon hoping for some divine intervention .

JFINNAN commiserations ..... you wouldn't credit how much damage and expense a minor collision with a small animal can cause ! Hope your insurance covers it. Good to hear you came away with just minor injuries anyway

Last edited:
Sad to hear, but I hope you were able to harvest the meat. Here in Colorado, you can apply to conserve it yourself, or it can be donated to a food bank. At least the animal doesn't die for nothing.
conservation in practice ...very sensible. Here in Britain some of our Laws go back a few hundred years .

If you knock a deer down you are not allowed to take it for meat but anyone who passes by afterwards can take it.
It probably stems back to the days when you were allowed to pee up against your front right cart wheel in Public but woe betied you if you get the wrong wheel. You were sent to one of the Colonies down under:D

If you knock a deer down you are not allowed to take it for meat but anyone who passes by afterwards can take it.

I guess that makes sense. Otherwise, people might be using an accident as illegitimate means of harvesting the Queen's deer. Even Robin Hood owned up to his crimes by actually shooting it with an arrow.

It probably stems back to the days when you were allowed to pee up against your front right cart wheel in Public but woe betide you if you get the wrong wheel. You were sent to one of the Colonies down under:D

I understand. I'm part of the Irish-American community around here. You know what we call an Australian? An Irishman who got caught. If it weren't for Transportation, there wouldn't be so many of us colonists, would there?

thank god we did'nt live back in those times . I'd have been put on a leaky ship for sure :D
Nowadays we all just get shafted by Banks. The Government, Pharma and other big Corporates :gun:

I did not attempt to take any of the meat. This was not a new injury. She had wasted to the point you could easily count every rib and vertebrae.
The hips were so shallow it was easy to see the bone definition.
This was a mercy killing plain and simple.
Or I could have elected to let nature take it's course and she would have starved to the point a predator or death would have taken care of her.
I'll not make a decision about how anyone else would handle the situation, but here on my property animals do not suffer needlessly. They receive the best care I can muster until it is time to do otherwise.

Back