Gotta love Fords

goodgollyjosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I decided to fix the leaky right side exhaust manifold gasket on my '07 F150 5.4L. Well, even after soaking the nuts in penetrating oil days early I still snapped a stud off in the head. It was below the surface and impossible to reach or even see for that matter. Not to mention the truck is 4x4.

So, after much thought that included copious amounts of wine and cigars I decided to yank the head because I'm too picky to let something like that go. Then I figured might as well do chains, guides, and tensioners while I am in there since this engine is prone to blown out tensioner O-rings which in turn cause the cam phasers to rattle (and I was approaching 100K miles on the truck).

Then, I figured well two head gaskets come in the set, might as well yank the other head at the same time. Finally, I came to the conclusion that if I resurface the leaking manifold and reinstall it more than likely it will just warp again in the future since this is another common problem with this motor so I said why not throw on a set of factory fit headers and be done with it.

I was pulling an all nighter Saturday at the shop and became fatigued after working 16 hours straight on this truck when I accidentally knocked the plastic intake manifold off the work bench and it broke...DAMN! Well, went home and slept it off and came back Sunday with a clear mind and kept plugging away on this blue oval.

I am glad to report after an entire weekend of bustin knuckles and much money spent that my exhaust leak is fixed. Not sure how something so minor got turned into a whole teardown but sometimes it sucks having OCD.

In case your asking yourself, isn't that the three valve engine that is prone to breaking spark plugs off in the head because someone thought it was a good idea to make them a two piece design? Why yes it is lol. So, I changed those as well while I had the heads on the bench. A nifty tip on the 5.4...remove the plugs with an impact. I know it sounds crazy but they never break. Try to remove them slowly with a ratchet and penetrating oil and they will snap on you 50% of the time.

Despite my crazy weekend, I still love my Ford!

Attachments

• blown out tensioner.jpg
    blown out tensioner.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 185
  • heads with headers.jpg
    heads with headers.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 204
  • stripped 5.4 engine.jpg
    stripped 5.4 engine.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 184
I've owned Fords, Chevs, Oldsmobiles.......................they need lots of maintenance and components fail quite often. Their service departments make a lot of money.

I now drive a Toyota Camry because it needs minimal maintenance and its built with high quality parts. 9 years and nothing needed other than oil changes/oil filters/air filters/wiper blades/tires. At 7 years, I replaced the transmission fluid, glycol coolant, and power steering fluid as preventive maintenance. I do all my own maintenance, and the Camry has never been in a repair garage except for tire replacement.

I've owned Fords, Chevs, Oldsmobiles.......................they need lots of maintenance and components fail quite often. Their service departments make a lot of money.

I now drive a Toyota Camry because it needs minimal maintenance and its built with high quality parts. 9 years and nothing needed other than oil changes/oil filters/air filters/wiper blades/tires. At 7 years, I replaced the transmission fluid, glycol coolant, and power steering fluid as preventive maintenance. I do all my own maintenance, and the Camry has never been in a repair garage except for tire replacement.

This is pretty funny because my other car is a cheap little Suzuki Forenza that I bought new in 2008 for less than 10 grand. It also has 100K miles on it now and same story as you...nothing but fluid changes, no failed parts to date. :thumbsup:

I can sympathize. Been a Ford tech since '94, instructor since '99 (hence my forum title). We had about a 15 year run of garbage. Best car we built in the 90's-00's; Crown Vic. Never saw the civi Vics for anything but maintenance. Saw quite a few with well over 200k (snowbirds). New stuff is a hell of a lot better. My mom just finally traded her '05 Five Hundred with 200k on a new Explorer. List of repairs during ownership; one frozen brake caliper, one broken engine torque mount, one weak A/C compressor, one inoperative fuel level sender; all repaired under warranty/campaigns. Didn't feel it was too bad for a 1st model year vehicle.

edit; just happened to remember one customer with a taxi Vic (one man taxi company, three drivers, in service 24/7). Bought it new in '94. Put almost 500k on it in 4 years. Number of repairs; zero. Of course, we did oil changes and tire rotations every two weeks! :) And a set of spark plugs once a year... :)

I can sympathize. Been a Ford tech since '94, instructor since '99 (hence my forum title). We had about a 15 year run of garbage. Best car we built in the 90's-00's; Crown Vic. Never saw the civi Vics for anything but maintenance. Saw quite a few with well over 200k (snowbirds). New stuff is a hell of a lot better. My mom just finally traded her '05 Five Hundred with 200k on a new Explorer. List of repairs during ownership; one frozen brake caliper, one broken engine torque mount, one weak A/C compressor, one inoperative fuel level sender; all repaired under warranty/campaigns. Didn't feel it was too bad for a 1st model year vehicle.

edit; just happened to remember one customer with a taxi Vic (one man taxi company, three drivers, in service 24/7). Bought it new in '94. Put almost 500k on it in 4 years. Number of repairs; zero. Of course, we did oil changes and tire rotations every two weeks! :) And a set of spark plugs once a year... :)

Yes it seems every manufacturer has made shit at one point or another. Worked for Honda for a number of years, they have a great reputation but damn did they have some POS's as well. I can't tell you how many transmissions those Odysseys went through, not to mention the '98-'02 Accords, V6 cars were the worst, the power would just eat that trans up in no time. At least Honda owned up to it and issued recalls and warranty extensions for many of their F-ups.

And I have a 2001 Silverado half ton that has exactly 2 repairs in 12 years and 150K. An alternator and just today popped a power steering hose. Your luck may vary. I've had two Toyota cars with lots of expensive problems, a Celica GT and a Corolla. Go figure.

05 Prius rural mail route 190K, light bulbs, brakes twice, front hubs. Cheap Jap junk. Body's beat up from snow plowing into the mail boxes....

I have an '89 Chevy K1500. Unsure on the miles, OD quit working at around 205k. It could use a few things, but it still gets me to work and hauls firewood. I've had to change trannies now and then, but that was my own fault for beating on them. If I drive it like a grandpa, I should be ok until it falls apart.

I had an '88 Ranger for about 10 yrs. Bought it used with almost 100k on it. 2.9 w 5 sp, super cab. Ran it low on oil a few times. Low on water in the radiator a few times. Went through water pumps and radiators many times in the 70k I put on it. It just would not die, mechanicly. Frayed wired did it in. Traded it in at the dealer for an 08 Ranger with Automatic tranny. Hated that tranny. Returned it and found a '05 version of my ol' 88 with 65k on it and love it. So far its just been a set of tires and oil changes in the 3 yrs of owning it. Hauled many a bike in it so far.

You be real lucky.....most of those 2.9 Fords cracked heads, not enough meat in them. So bad that Dart came up with some after market mucho meatier ones. The salvage yards refused to even sell us used ones. I have a brand new set of the Darts with MAYBE a thousand miles on them, because the rod bearings were ruined by antifreeze when the originals cracked out. It was my nephews truck, so I had little to do with it. But I kept the Dart heads. They are way healthier.

You be real lucky.....most of those 2.9 Fords cracked heads, not enough meat in them. So bad that Dart came up with some after market mucho meatier ones. The salvage yards refused to even sell us used ones. I have a brand new set of the Darts with MAYBE a thousand miles on them, because the rod bearings were ruined by antifreeze when the originals cracked out. It was my nephews truck, so I had little to do with it. But I kept the Dart heads. They are way healthier.

Agreed, very impressed you had such luck with the 2.9L. I have owned two Rangers with the 2.3, now that is a durable motor but my god does it lack in power!

My 97 gmc has 257K + miles still going strong (knock on wood) and keep buying chevy/gmc's fixing them is what pays my rent and pays for my xs650 addiction.haha

My Suburban is a 97 also. Pushing 240K, don't know how anyone gets along without one. Handiest thing ever, pull anything, I use it a lot on a 4 horse trailer. Never touched the tranny yet, uses no oil, sounds good. Just had the MAF sensor start on me. About 65 bucks.

So, I decided to fix the leaky right side exhaust manifold gasket on my '07 F150 5.4L. Well, even after soaking the nuts in penetrating oil days early I still snapped a stud off in the head. It was below the surface and impossible to reach or even see for that matter. Not to mention the truck is 4x4.

So, after much thought that included copious amounts of wine and cigars I decided to yank the head because I'm too picky to let something like that go. Then I figured might as well do chains, guides, and tensioners while I am in there since this engine is prone to blown out tensioner O-rings which in turn cause the cam phasers to rattle (and I was approaching 100K miles on the truck).

Then, I figured well two head gaskets come in the set, might as well yank the other head at the same time. Finally, I came to the conclusion that if I resurface the leaking manifold and reinstall it more than likely it will just warp again in the future since this is another common problem with this motor so I said why not throw on a set of factory fit headers and be done with it.

I was pulling an all nighter Saturday at the shop and became fatigued after working 16 hours straight on this truck when I accidentally knocked the plastic intake manifold off the work bench and it broke...DAMN! Well, went home and slept it off and came back Sunday with a clear mind and kept plugging away on this blue oval.

I am glad to report after an entire weekend of bustin knuckles and much money spent that my exhaust leak is fixed. Not sure how something so minor got turned into a whole teardown but sometimes it sucks having OCD.

In case your asking yourself, isn't that the three valve engine that is prone to breaking spark plugs off in the head because someone thought it was a good idea to make them a two piece design? Why yes it is lol. So, I changed those as well while I had the heads on the bench. A nifty tip on the 5.4...remove the plugs with an impact. I know it sounds crazy but they never break. Try to remove them slowly with a ratchet and penetrating oil and they will snap on you 50% of the time.

Despite my crazy weekend, I still love my Ford!

this kinda worries me. '03 5.4 Expedition; 160k. trans blew up @ 105k (expected even though we stayed on top of maintenance), one ignition coil and that's it. I cannot afford major motor work. this car HAS to last another 10 years before that.

'03 5.4 Expedition this car HAS to last another 10 years before that.

I have some bad new for you....

I like my ford. 01 CC LB DRW 6spd 7.3 4x4 but I think part of why I like it so much is it is a second vehicle. Much more fun to zip around in the 335d on a day to day

Back