Gotta love Fords

I was a Ford guy for years, until I bought a Tacoma. It now has 200k miles and is 13 years old. Repairs - one O2 sensor. Oh, and the little lite that tells you the cruise is on burnt out at 150k miles. I was a AAA rep and joke with one my Toy dealers that they just had to have better build quality than that!! Still has the original rear brakes and clutch, and runs just like the day I picked it up. After 10 years of that, I sold my F-250 and bought a Tundra to haul my trailer. It outpulls the old 460, even though it gets the same mpg towing - 6-8 mpg.

I had a Tundra for a while and I agree, it was a very nice vehicle and well built. I miss it, I imagine the ex is enjoying it though. :shrug: My Ford weighs about the same but is lacking about 100 ponies compared to the Tundra 5.7, and it shows. Hoping to get some of that back with a few upgrades now that the power train warranty is up.

It seems Ecoboost is here to stay. I had heard they were gonna do a smaller version of the V6. Curious to see how that plays out. I will say, they are pretty stout little motors. My friend has a Focus ST with the 2.0 Ecoboost. He had a tune and a few other mods, making 22 pounds boost till 7K revs then dropped to 14, it was a fast little bugger. I say it was fast in the past tense, blew the number one piston a few days ago. I was pretty impressed it lasted that long on a cast piston. He took all the mods off and took it to the dealer and they dropped a new motor in it. :eek:

The SHO Taurus is an old favorite of mine, I had a 1991 SHO PLUS, That was a fun ride. Guys are now running high 12's with the new model with Ecoboost V6, a tune, and methanol injection. I just wish it still had the manual trans option.

I had a Tundra for a while and I agree, it was a very nice vehicle and well built. I miss it, I imagine the ex is enjoying it though. :shrug: My Ford weighs about the same but is lacking about 100 ponies compared to the Tundra 5.7, and it shows. Hoping to get some of that back with a few upgrades now that the power train warranty is up.

It seems Ecoboost is here to stay. I had heard they were gonna do a smaller version of the V6. Curious to see how that plays out. I will say, they are pretty stout little motors. My friend has a Focus ST with the 2.0 Ecoboost. He had a tune and a few other mods, making 22 pounds boost till 7K revs then dropped to 14, it was a fast little bugger. I say it was fast in the past tense, blew the number one piston a few days ago. I was pretty impressed it lasted that long on a cast piston. He took all the mods off and took it to the dealer and they dropped a new motor in it. :eek:

The SHO Taurus is an old favorite of mine, I had a 1991 SHO PLUS, That was a fun ride. Guys are now running high 12's with the new model with Ecoboost V6, a tune, and methanol injection. I just wish it still had the manual trans option.

They are a pretty stout motor, except that it blew out a piston:doh:

OK , I get it now. Your friend modified the boost control devices, so the engine could produce extra power above its factory design. He then drove the snot out of car and impressed all his friends. When the engine blew up, he cleverly removed the offending mods, returned to the dealer, and with a shocked look on his face, explained he must have got a lemon. The dumb dealer, knowing that customers would never modify the engine controls:wink2:, because that would void the warranty, says "yes it must have been a factory defect", and supplies a new engine.

Seems like a fun way for young lads to have a good time hot rodding their cars. However, if the dealer does a post mortem on the blown engine, they may find evidence of control mods, and charge the customer for the full cost of the engine swap.

Have a 95 Suburban 2WD with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. 180K miles. Gets the injectors tested every five years. Only maintenance has been fluids.

Here at the dealer we know whats going on out there and if we think we can get by the
zone rep's we do the work because we need the work and it's good customer service. (time's are hard at the dealers
now with no customer pay work any more most warrantys are 100,000 miles and no
other maintenance other than oil changes and war. work only pays about 1/2 of the time it takes but it's better than nothing at this point)

Here at the dealer we know whats going on out there and if we think we can get by the
zone rep's we do the work because we need the work and it's good customer service. (time's are hard at the dealers
now with no customer pay work any more most warrantys are 100,000 miles and no
other maintenance other than oil changes and war. work only pays about 1/2 of the time it takes but it's better than nothing at this point)

That's why I got out. I respect those that have stayed, they were the guys turning 80 hours when times were good. :thumbsup:

Have a 95 Suburban 2WD with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel. 180K miles. Gets the injectors tested every five years. Only maintenance has been fluids.

hay on the 6.5l it's not the injectors we had problems with it's the inj pumps,( a pump is about $1200 and when
the pump go's it thake's out the cranks( the adv ring gets loose and over fuels the eng.
makes too much hp and brakes the crank now on the 6.6L ints the injectors we have problems with most of the time it's from water in the fuel keep the fuel filter changed
every 15,000 miles ho yey if you bust up a 6.6L diesel we will know and it will not be covered by warrenty that out of our hands the all get inspected and they know wat to look for GM has spent over a million dollers on the 6.6L to know what it takes to blow one up. I know all this because I have been a GM tech for over 30 years.

Both batteries have been replaced as have the tyres. The brake pads will get replaced as soon as I make room in my shop to accommodate the rig.

My 2001 B2500 Mazda (same as Ranger) has 197,000 miles on the clock, which includes loaded-to-the-gills-and-dragging-mud-flaps from South Texas to Puget Sound.

Runs, steers, tracks, stops just like it did when I drove it off the lot in 2001. 20 mpg.

Gone through 2 or 3 (can't recall) sets of front brake pads, 1 set of rotors (which I coulda just turned), both U-joints, 3 batteries, 3 sets of tires, some windshield wipers and an exhaust hanger. That's it.

Mobil1 every 10,000; K&N air filter (cleaned twice)

I'm driving my dads 95 chevy 1500 at the moment and he bought it crashed in 97 and we fixed it, but since then the only repairs we have done , other than regular maintenance, is a brake line that rusted through and the alternator. She just rolled over 231k. :thumbsup:

Yep, Chevys can be quite dependable as well :thumbsup: I am not a brand specific kind of guy. When people ask me if I am a Chevy, Ford, Dodge guy, etc. I usually just tell them that I am an air pump guy, just to mess with them. In truth, I bought the truck that started this whole thread because I liked the 04-08 body style of the F150's not because I love Ford. I like the fact that they are going with an aluminum body that is 700 pounds lighter but I don't think they are very good looking these days, but I feel that way about most new trucks on the road. Why does everybody love chromed plastic so much? :shrug:

That is a question I ask myself all the time :laugh: I prefer something older that was built to last!

hey!! since we're talking ford trucks here and it sounds like a couple of ford techs are chiming in. what's up with this? i've a '96 4.0 ranger automatic trans that intermittently stalls. it was popping a vacuum line off the block on the manifold. i zip tied it and ran fine. then it started popping off the same line but at the other end (top of motor towards front). but anyway. it seems the line is filling with oil which is causing the stall. it'll run fine for many miles then BAM pop the line and stall. let it sit for 1/2 hour before it'll start and then it'll run for a couple miles or a hundred miles. i haven't driven it in a couple years because of this. any ideas?? anyone? anyone?

" He took all the mods off and took it to the dealer and they dropped a new motor in it"

That makes him a thief, like an insurance scammer.

Back