GPS speedo suggestions.

Trail tech is very universal. I've used one on a spirit 750, a cb750 and I'm going to use one on my xs

I really like the look of the speedhut units. I believe osteoderm has used one. Wonder about these units in the weather tho, especially with the backlight inverter etc.
Perhaps osteoderm can give us an update?

I had that same question a couple months ago and sent him a PM asking what his thinking was 2+ years out. This was his response. I did leave out one paragraph where he stated that an 8k or 10k tach would be fine and that the 100mph was perfect.

"Sorry I'm so late in responding... I've been away from my computer for 3 months. It's a great question you've asked, and worth a thoughtful answer.

I still like the Speedhut unit pretty well. 2+ years of use have left me with the following observations:

The unit (at least this one; they may have redesigned a motorcycle-specific one) is entirely non-waterproof. I've never had an issue with it, but it's certainly something to consider. My bike is garage-kept 98% of the time, under a cover the other 2%. I used a very small an mount of silicone sealant to close up the opening in the back of the case, and a little silicone grease around the front glass. The whole bike, as it is now without useful fenders, is a fair-weather rider only. so... so far, so good, but the Speedhut unit is obviously designed to fit in a car dash, not on a motorcycle.

I am finding the electrical connections to be "noisy"; I've had to really work to isolate the gauge electrics from the ignition electrics. The separate power supply for the gauge lighting is a little clunky to configure as well. Nothing serious, just annoying lighting flickers and ignition interference that causes a slight high-rpm miss when the gauge light is on.

The GPS pickup is fine. It's a little slow to acquire a signal, but that's a fine amount of time to get the bike warmed before rolling away. There is a "hot-start" wire that is supposed to let the gauge grab a much faster initial position, but it requires an "always on" battery connection... my battery is very small, and I didn't want to have anything constant-wired to it.

I wrote to Speedhut and suggested to them that they ought to look into offering a motorcycle-specific model. I think most people would put up with a slightly bulkier case if it had the lighting power supply integrated along with better weather sealing. I need to check back with them; maybe they've already gone ahead with that idea..."

Back